A single peacock with a flock of chickens and guineas?

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
My male peacock is only around 4 months old but I'm curious about what to expect when he matures. I don't plan on having more pea fowl. He has bonded strongly with some chicken pullets that he is being raised with. Will a peacock try to breed a chicken? Or guinea hen? Will he become aggressive to my roosters who aren't aggressive but may want to breed the hens? All of them free range thru the day and sleep in the same henhouse at night.
I know very little about peafowl since I've never known anyone to have them.

I would find him a girl because especially the boys try to run away to find mates as they mature i bet he is lonely to make sure if you get him a gal she is heathly beacause peacock can die of heart break much like swans but i hope for the best :)

I would find him a girl because especially the boys try to run away to find mates as they mature i bet he is lonely to make sure if you get him a gal she is heathly beacause peacock can die of heart break much like swans but i hope for the best
smile.png

Thanks for the information. I would consider getting a female for him but they are rare and hard to find in Wyoming. I didn't know they can die of heartbreak but I have seen it happen in other animals. My peacock has bonded very strongly with an Americana chicken. He gets pretty upset if she is even out of sight.
idunno.gif

p.s. That's a very pretty peafowl in your avatar!

I would go with getting at least 2 hens for him. Peafowl don't need mates to stay healthy and birds don't die of heartbreak, but with males they can get aggressive to other poultry during the breeding season regardless of whether a peahen is present or not. If you have a trio the male will be able to have company and the hens can get away from him if he starts picking on one or the other.

I would go with getting at least 2 hens for him. Peafowl don't need mates to stay healthy and birds don't die of heartbreak, but with males they can get aggressive to other poultry during the breeding season regardless of whether a peahen is present or not. If you have a trio the male will be able to have company and the hens can get away from him if he starts picking on one or the other.
x2,

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom