Cackling before they lay

Sandy001

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2016
MIddle TN
My girls are now 24 weeks old and out of the 7 hens I am getting 6 eggs a day from them. I thought they cackled after they laid their eggs but my girls cackle before and sneak out of the nest not saying a word. Anyone else ever notice theirs doing that? Mine are getting good at the egg song but they sing before when they are heading to the nest boxes.

I have some silent layers only time I had heard then sing before laying was when they were younger around the age of your and just getting the hang of things. Or when the best box is taken. Though many are willing to share they will often pitch a fit until they can wait anymore for privacy and either squeeze on in or find another box.

I have some that sing before they lay, some that sing after, and some that like to trick me by singing for no reason at all. It all depends on the hen. I have one tiny little silkie hen who makes the LOUDEST fuss about her eggs before, during, and after laying. She goes on for at least 20 minutes and usualy gets the rest of the flock to join her. I feel bad for our neighbors

My Welsummers will cackle and pace before she lays. She even does it when one of the Barred Rock ladies in the nesting box laying her egg. Even though she doesn't lay an egg that day. Is that normal? The Welsummers make quite a racket, but the BR have been laying for about 5 weeks now and they just make a little bit of noise when they lay, barely hear them, but the Welsummers let me know that somebody is laying an egg.

Yeah, I have some that go in, see that someone else has laid an egg, and come out singing like it's their own. I like to think they are living vicariously through their sisters.

Back
Top Bottom