Can Chickens Bond To Each Other?

LittleWhiteDove

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
Hedley British Columbia
I currently have two young Sumatra roosters in a coop together with two hens. None of them are mature yet and the rooster are siblings and seem to be best buddies. I am moving them to a larger run with tons of roosts, ground space, two swings, and a fair sized coop. I know that the breed only gets aggressive during the high season. I was wondering if it would be safe for me to continue to house the roosters together as they are growing up together and seem to be best buddies. I have heard stories where people have had great success housing to rooters together. I was wondering if my two roosters who are brothers and growing up together have possible bonded and will be okay if I continue to keep them together

I've kept rooster pairs together with great success, and occasionally not as great. In spring there can be some sparing which doesn't get too serious, occasionally 2 will really go at it, but even than in most instances, if allowed to fight to the conclusion, and space for the loser to get away, they are back to being best buddies again.

My one advice is to only break them up if you plan never to put them back together, otherwise with enough space and hens multiple roosters can coexist, with brothers forming coalitions, always falling back to each other's company.

Occasionally 1 rooster will decide he wants his brother dead or gone and the fight will be one sided and quite severe. If this is going to happen, it will probably occur between the ages of 6-18 months. I've only had one do this, and he was butchered.

I currently have two young Sumatra roosters in a coop together with two hens. None of them are mature yet and the rooster are siblings and seem to be best buddies. I am moving them to a larger run with tons of roosts, ground space, two swings, and a fair sized coop. I know that the breed only gets aggressive during the high season. I was wondering if it would be safe for me to continue to house the roosters together as they are growing up together and seem to be best buddies. I have heard stories where people have had great success housing to rooters together. I was wondering if my two roosters who are brothers and growing up together have possible bonded and will be okay if I continue to keep them together
How old are they?

Back
Top Bottom