Duck with sagging bottom and weird eggs

Bryntee

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
My female black swedish duck seems to have a really saggy bottom. The other night she laid a marble sized "egg" in the yard at night. No shell. She pooped it out I guess. My husband saw it. It was covered in poo. I'm not sure what's going on. I looked it up and it just had appeared like what normal laying ducks get. But it's getting bigger. Her eggs were weird shaped awhile ago and I noticed she hasn't been laying very often unless she is hiding her eggs. She is acting like her normal self. Should I bring her in for a nice warm bath to see if she is egg bound or is there something else I should be looking for?

My female black swedish duck seems to have a really saggy bottom. The other night she laid a marble sized "egg" in the yard at night. No shell. She pooped it out I guess. My husband saw it. It was covered in poo. I'm not sure what's going on. I looked it up and it just had appeared like what normal laying ducks get. But it's getting bigger. Her eggs were weird shaped awhile ago and I noticed she hasn't been laying very often unless she is hiding her eggs. She is acting like her normal self. Should I bring her in for a nice warm bath to see if she is egg bound or is there something else I should be looking for?
@Bryntee what do you feed her is she getting layer and oyster shell? I have a layer who every once in a while pops out a tiny egg too. And right now my 2 Buffs look bottom heavy but I think I notice it more on them than my Runners because of difference in body shape. But it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure your duck is getting plenty of calcium either layer or reg feed with oyster shell on the side and you could also try mixing some Calcium citrate into her water bucket. I do that at times when I feel mine need extra like I found a few soft shelled eggs in the pool. I bought Calcium
citrate on line but you can probably find it most places that sell vitamins.. 250 megs per half gal of water is what I use.

Is your duck a new layer? how old is she? A nice warm bath wouldn't hurt her and may help if there is something going on. Eating and acting her normal self is really good signs that she is feeling good though . .

Here is some good info on eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Last edited:
Yup she's getting layer feed and oyster shell. Everything is mixed together so maybe she isn't eating enough of the oyster shell. Or maybe she is preferring the all flock feed to the layer feed? I'll maybe put a dish out with just shell instead of mixed in. It's a firm squishy feeling. Feels almost fluid filled. She is not a new layer, she's abouthe 4 years old. She runs all over the yard grazing so I just never thought there was anything wrong until her bottom started getting bigger. :( I will bring her in for a nice warm bath, she will love it lol. She was in the house with diapers for the first year of her life. Then we transitioned her outside with my rescue duck and has been out there ever since. :) Thank you for replying! :)

Yup she's getting layer feed and oyster shell. Everything is mixed together so maybe she isn't eating enough of the oyster shell. Or maybe she is preferring the all flock feed to the layer feed? I'll maybe put a dish out with just shell instead of mixed in. It's a firm squishy feeling. Feels almost fluid filled. She is not a new layer, she's abouthe 4 years old. She runs all over the yard grazing so I just never thought there was anything wrong until her bottom started getting bigger.
sad.png
I will bring her in for a nice warm bath, she will love it lol. She was in the house with diapers for the first year of her life. Then we transitioned her outside with my rescue duck and has been out there ever since.
smile.png
Thank you for replying!
smile.png
It's so hard to know with these birds they can hide illness so well. If at all possible you may want to try a vet. Especially if you notice any discharge coming from her vent. I have only lost one duck to egg laying problems and her symptoms were laying around and not eating but again they hide things so well most of the time till it's too late. Hopefully your girl may just be having the middle age crisis where we all get a little bottom heavy. Let us know if anything comes from the nice warm bath or if you notice any thing any worse.

Okay will do!! It's so hard to find a local vet :( the vet I had taken her to a couple years ago stopped seeing birds. :( I will keep ya'll posted! Thanks again for your help!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom