Hens attacking each other, help?

west5000

Hatching
Oct 24, 2016
Last year I got 6 chickens (not sure what breed they are, they're mixed). two of them were roosters. over time we got a few legbars and then about 7 sex links. we keep the roosters by themselves and the legbars by themselves. currently we keep the older hens and the sex links in the same pen. they were doing pretty well for the first two, three months they were together. but recently, I have an older hen and a sex link that attack the other hens. if there's a hen laying or nesting, they jump up and push then down as a rooster would, and it almost looks like they're trying to rip the others' combs off. a lot of times I walk in the pen and see a few hens' combs all bloody. they've also been super defensive and tense around people, and they're usually not like that. I feel like this is not normal. any advice, help, or info? thanks!

Howdy from Kansas, west5000, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! I agree - this could be an issue of overcrowding. Here's a link that has information about how to handle bullying chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
Hope it helps. Best wishes and thanks for joining!
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC. Removing the aggressors for a couple of weeks should act to reduce their standing in the pecking order, once returned and may help things. Obviously, if overcrowding is the issue, you know the solution.

Good luck

CT

Put the aggressors in time out - away from the others. If they don't improve in behavior when you return to flock - you can try pinless peepers on them (put that in search box and it will come up.) If that doesn't help I think they should cool their tempers in freezer camp.

I have 6 chickens one is a lovely bantam one a Dorking breed and 4 unknown and lately the 4 unknown siblings havebjust been attacking either the back of the other twos necks or they're combs and it just keeps getting worse I've had to pull all 4 of my little bantam at one point I really need the help please

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom