temperature - shipped eggs

moglet

Songster
6 Years
Oct 22, 2016
UK
Hi, I have 5 fertile eggs in my incubator (Brinsea octagon eco) When I ran it for a few days prior to putting eggs in it stayed around 37.5 C. Now after taking out 9 that were quitters the temp is staying around 37.2 (difficult to say exactly when its a mercury thermometer) I tried to increase it a little and watched it for about 10 minutes and it stayed around 37.5 so I went out to put the chickens to bed and came in to check it and it had gone up to about 38 .0C albeit only for about 10 minutes! so I quickly turned it down to 37.2 approx, but I am firstly worried that this temporary increase may have harmed the eggs (that was on day 8) and secondly should I just leave the temperature as it is for the remainder of the hatch (on day 11 now) I am scared of trying to increase the temperature again and as it's been running at just 0.2 of a degree lower should this be ok. I am in the UK and these are shipped eggs that had detached air cells. I intend candling on day 14 to check air cells again and mark them.I have been reading Sally Sunshines thread on shipped eggs and I am doing what she suggests, really informative post thank you.

Last edited:
Whilst I do not claim to be anything but a novice at using incubators, I would not imagine that such a small difference in temperature, for a relatively short period of time will have done any lasting damage. If you go to the Brinsea site, then to FAQs and then to "what to do if there's a power cut" (or some such title) it will give you critical temperatures - that should help. Here's a screen shot of the pdf that will hopefully put your mind at ease.

Sorry, its fuzzy - as i say, its a screen shot. Personally, i would proceed with normal hatching protocol.

Thank you so much for replying I've been worried about these eggs since the day they arrived! 2 were cracked on opening, and now 5 left so if I get one hatch I'll be happy! Thank you for posting the temperature info, I'll look at that and hope for the best!.
Thanks again so glad I joined this group. Carole

Thank you so much for replying I've been worried about these eggs since the day they arrived! 2 were cracked on opening, and now 5 left so if I get one hatch I'll be happy! Thank you for posting the temperature info, I'll look at that and hope for the best!.
Thanks again so glad I joined this group. Carole

Most welcome, Carole. Royal Mail / Parcel Force are not what they once were, so i do hope that you get some hatches!
Best of luck
CT

Back
Top Bottom