Weird Eggs: Share if You Got 'Em?

Clov3r

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Palo Pinto County, Texas
Hey! I got my first two weird eggs out of my batch of newly-laying hens. Both on the same day. (My older hens are on strike... er... moulting).

Nobody seems sick, so I'm chalking these up to "young hens, new layers".

What are your weird eggs?

I have a variety of breeds in my flock Sussex, Black Austrolorp, Brahman, Rhode island reds, barred rocks, buff
My question is I have provided them with more than adequate nesting boxes to use however they seem to only want to use one or maybe two out of about 15 have 19 hens 2 roosters but the sussex did nothing but beat up two hands and tried to beat up the black Australorp Rooster
Until he grew up and began beating up on the sussex wouldn't even let him eat so we separated to Sussex to save his life. These roosters were raised together from chicks. With all this is a preamble why is it with all this nesting space available m chickens lay eggs everywhere and anywhere looks like while perched for the night, alongside waterer lol do chickens always do that

I have a variety of breeds in my flock Sussex, Black Austrolorp, Brahman, Rhode island reds, barred rocks, buff
My question is I have provided them with more than adequate nesting boxes to use however they seem to only want to use one or maybe two out of about 15 have 19 hens 2 roosters but the sussex did nothing but beat up two hands and tried to beat up the black Australorp Rooster
Until he grew up and began beating up on the sussex wouldn't even let him eat so we separated to Sussex to save his life. These roosters were raised together from chicks. With all this is a preamble why is it with all this nesting space available m chickens lay eggs everywhere and anywhere looks like while perched for the night, alongside waterer lol do chickens always do that

Regarding your hens: hens don't always get the hint at first with nest boxes. What I do with all of my new hens is sacrifice some eggs, mark them with a big X, and put one in each box. Hens will see those eggs, and it'll attract them to the nesting boxes. You can also use ceramic eggs, or try golf balls, for the same effect.

If they're laying outside of the roost, you can try locking them up in the roost for a week or so. They won't have much choice but to use the nest boxes, and usually decide it's not so bad. I've found some eggs in weird places... hens can be goofballs.

Back
Top Bottom