Help with outdoor duck and her eggs

esteele9391

Hatching
Oct 25, 2016
Okay so I am new to ducks and egg hatching. I have a khaki cambell duck and drake that I got this spring along with chicks. I have 8 chickens and the two ducks. September I stopped collecting my ducks eggs so she would brood, and she has. I thought for sure it was way past hatching time do i candled the eggs and 3 were clearly rotten just from looking at them, black rings in them. But 12 all looked the same and I didn't see any red / pink so I thought they were dead, since it's been cold and it's her first time. I decided to take one and look inside before I just threw them away... Well now I feel like a murderer because this little bugger was alive and even tried to breath a few times. But I seen no movement when I candled it. Now that I know at least a few are alive if not all other 11 eggs, what do I do now? I have all 10 birds caged together outside in the coop. It's a big coop. No rooster. She is very protective and so is her drake but he gets along with the hens and even hangs out with them all day since his women is nesting. I live in Ohio. It's been cold here. What do I do? I don't have an incubator... Do I wait until they hatch and bring them in and put them in a brooder ? Or wait until they are fluffy (1 day or so) and remove them. Im guessing they won't all hatch at once, could take days in between... Do I remove the drake? Do I remove her and the eggs? Please help!!! I don't want them to die! They look 22 days plus, judging by the one I murdered...

Ducks take 28 days to hatch. I would put them back under her and let her finish the job. She will take care of them and show them how to eat and drink and keep them warm.

Last edited:
I left them in her nest. I mean after they hatch. I don't know if the drake will kill them or one of the chickens. It's really cold out what if she abandons them?

Drakes generally do not attack babies but sometimes hens will. I would keep an eye when they hatch and make sure she is taking care of them and have a brooder ready just in case.

Personally, I would let her incubate them and once they hatch and dry off under mom, I would put them in the brooder. With winter approaching and the fact they live in a mixed community with chickens,I would just feel better if they were in a brooder vs out with elements and "neighbors" this time of year.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your ducks.

Duck hens are notorious for being protective mothers. They usually won't let anything mess with their babies.

Back
Top Bottom