Duck eye problem? Dark spot above pupil. Help please.

wheeljack

Hatching
Oct 26, 2016
I keep one pet duck, and I've had her for a few years. She's a Muscovy simply named Duck. Today I was holding her and I noticed a small dark blob above one of her pupils. I used a light near her eye to get better illumination, and her eye seemed to dilate just fine. Viewing her eye from the side, you can see the blob above the rest of her eye in the clear part of the eye. It seems to move with the pupil when her eyes dilate. She acts fine, un-bothered by it.

She does occasionally gets swatted by cats, maybe its an injury from that?
She also primarily eat 16% layer feed and cat food. And occasionally other stuff.
She spends most her time indoors.

I searched the web, and looked in our duck book, but nothing. Any ideas out there? I'm just concerned.

You can see the blob a bit in the images, in the bottom of her eye. It might have always been there and I just noticed. I don't know.

Last edited:
What a cute girl. : )

It likely is either genetic or an injury. Since she isn't swollen, blinking a lot or irritated, I doubt it will cause a problem. Some blue eyed animals have a leaking of brown in their pupil, a form of heterochromia. I see it a lot in mix-breed dogs, and some cats even, so perhaps it could be seen in ducks too! If so, you've got a pretty awesome duck. : )

Back
Top Bottom