Black copper Marian's chick color??

trifecta

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Laidley, QLD, Australia
So really stupid question here, but BCM chicks should always be BLACK right???

In the process of hatching shipped eggs that were quite dear to purchase here in Oz and the first chick came out like this. Is it possible to have a "throwback" wheaten or white gene from two black parents or was I duped?

Don't worry little guy is back in the bator- just wanted a pic for the seller before the others hatched (there should be some light chicks in there this was just the first to hatch)

Thanks!!

Yep, it's not unheard of for that wheaten to crop up in the black coppers. Disappointing, but lots of breeders don't cull for it apparently. But, wheaten is an accepted color, and I don't know if it effects egg color, you should still get nice dark eggs. If you don't want to keep it for breeding stock (sticking with the black coppers), you should be able to recoup some of the purchase price for the eggs if you raise her up to point of lay (assuming she's a she, that is!).

Yes honestly if it's a pullet she will be welcome to stay. It's just more that most people around here charge more for BCM vs wheaten color, and I didn't realise they could carry wheaten as a recessive color. I won't be breeding these to sell eggs, just wanted some dark ones in the basket.

Back
Top Bottom