Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics

crandal

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2016
Southern Utah, apple valley
Hello all I just purchased grown muscovies from someone 2 months ago.
I do have many questions but I will start with the most pressing. I have 4 female and 3 male. For the last couple weeks I've noticed them breeding like crazy but.... No eggs. Seems like they are done molting as they have been flying,. Also I am pumping them with high protein feed. Am I doing something wrong,. Shouldnt they be laying eggs if they are breeding.

Also,. There is one big alpha male that doesn't seem to be breeding but he's beating up the other 2 for trying. And they all have been together their whole lives there's a momma an alpha poppa. And the rest are the offspring to them. Could the alpha male be causing to much stress for them all to lay eggs should I separate him for a while

That's a high drake to duck ratio; with Muscovies,1 drake to at least 4 ducks would be better for everyone. With the high proportion of drakes, overmating issues are likely to occur. More info here: https://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-ducks-faq/what-drake-duck-ratio/.

Muscovies don't lay eggs all year long. They lay clutches and will take a break and may also stop laying entirely at other times of the year (seasonally). Breeding isn't an indicator of egglaying, but overmating could negatively impact laying. You'll find more info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/771510/how-long-do-muscovy-ducks-lay-eggs.

My Muscovy ducks aren't laying now, either, and probably won't resume for several months. Their eggs are worth the wait, though!

Last edited:
Thank u. Yea I heard they were good I'm anxious to find out. I know it's a high Drake ratio but I bought them from someone this way and they've always been together. So I figured it was OK. Just not sure which one to remove. The alpha male who seems much older than the others and doesn't seem to be mating at all or one of the younger Drake's. Like the alpha 2 or the most passive Drake number 3? Thoughts

Glad it's helpful. Selection of a flock drake really depends on your goals and preferences; I select for personality and other traits (like size, robustness, etc.) that I'd like to see passed down in his progeny. Friendliness, while not the sole criterion I consider, is important to me because the drakes' large size can make them very difficult to handle (if doing a health check, for example). I'd avoid choosing one with obvious physical problems that could be heritable.

What are each of the three drakes like besides the characteristics you already mentioned? Is there one that stands out? How about how they behave with the girls?

Well the alpha Drake is huge with the most cubicles. Or what ever they are called. He's very protective of the flock and extremely cautious. Won't get to close to me. He's also so big and heavy even small drops he seems like an old man deciding if he can step down that far takes him forever to take that leap. The second in command isn't near the flock alpha won't let him but he's a little less cautions around us. He will get kinda close to us if there is food near. He dominates the 3rd Drake a little but also is OK with him near most of the time and scared to death of alpha male,. He wants to mate a lot.
Drake 3 is very passive he lets the other 2 push him around and kind of stays to himself most the day to avoid conflict. But walks around with the flock when alpha male allows it. He's also the least cautious around us he's found us to not be a threat and I can walk right past him without him running away. He is also the most beautiful,. With brilliant whit feathers as for alpha 2... Alpha one basically kicked him out of the flock,. He is not allowed near the flock at all and only tries to mate the females when alpha has his head turned. I have to usher him into the coop at night cause like I said,. Alpha don't want him there so he sits near the coop till I force him into it.

Well the alpha Drake is huge with the most cubicles. Or what ever they are called. He's very protective of the flock and extremely cautious. Won't get to close to me. He's also so big and heavy even small drops he seems like an old man deciding if he can step down that far takes him forever to take that leap. The second in command isn't near the flock alpha won't let him but he's a little less cautions around us. He will get kinda close to us if there is food near. He dominates the 3rd Drake a little but also is OK with him near most of the time and scared to death of alpha male,. He wants to mate a lot.
Drake 3 is very passive he lets the other 2 push him around and kind of stays to himself most the day to avoid conflict. But walks around with the flock when alpha male allows it. He's also the least cautious around us he's found us to not be a threat and I can walk right past him without him running away. He is also the most beautiful,. With brilliant whit feathers as for alpha 2... Alpha one basically kicked him out of the flock,. He is not allowed near the flock at all and only tries to mate the females when alpha has his head turned. I have to usher him into the coop at night cause like I said,. Alpha don't want him there so he sits near the coop till I force him into it.
I would choose drake #3 because once the other 2 are removed his personality will shine and you will have a drake that won't mind you getting close to him. I love Muscovy's. and Drakes are the coolest but I want one who is the best with the girls and me. @crandal Welcome to BYC!!

Thanks for your input. That's kinda what I was thinking.
Pics when you can.
pop.gif

I agree with Miss Lydia about keeping just your passive drake. I used to have three drakes and now only have one. So much less drama and the girls are so much happier. I kept the bottom-of-the-totem-pole drake because of his passive personality. He probably isn't the best flock guardian compared to the two dominant drakes but he treats the girls better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom