Maybe someone here can help

acw13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm desperate. I have a pet turkey, a broad breasted white, named Koba who has a severe case of bumblefoot. The area is about the size of a tennis ball. There no way I can care for it by myself, I need the help of a vet. The only person who actually specializes in "livestock" doesn't take care credit anymore. I'm a nursing student and pretty dang sick of being broke all the time, but I just need a little help for my pet. I don't want him to die. He's not just a bird, he's my PET, like any cat or dog and equally as special to me. Ive never done this kind of thing before and if it's not allowed, I'm sure the post can be flagged. Please, if you have the time or means, visit my go fund me page.

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-help-for-koba-2wazs38

I am very sorry for your troubles.

You do have a few options, though.

You could perform the surgery yourself. I've done it on a chicken, so I know you can! You can find several videos on YouTube detailing the process. You'll want a second pair of hands to help.

There are also non-invasive treatments like soaking in Epsom salts, using clear iodine, or turmeric/coconut oil paste.

Since he's a pet, you could also get him some antibiotics to treat him internally, too. They're cheaper than a vet visit if you purchase them online or from your local feed store. :)

I hope that helps and I wish Koba a speedy recovery!

MrsB

The bumble is about the size of half a tennis ball. I considered it and watched several different videos, but not one was as extensive as what I'm seeing. I'm afraid that if I start cutting or pulling, I'll hard healthy tissue and I don't want to cause him excess pain. I've read about other treatments, but I think that as far as his has progressed, it wouldn't do any good until the bad part it removed. I'm not even sure how deep it goes.

If I were you, I'd soak his poor, little foot in Epsom salt for a while, then see if I could peel the scab back. Just start working on it, and see if you can get anything out. Use tweezers, use scalpels, press from the top... whatever you have to do. It won't feel great for him, but it's better than him languishing with an infected foot.

Pack a bunch of turmeric up in there and wrap it when you've done all you can. Turmeric works well against staph infections (so I have read). It's the yellow kitchen spice used in Indian cuisine. I'm sure you knew that. :)

Maybe repeat the process over a few days and see if you can resolve it yourself while your GoFundMe works in the background... Also, I have no idea if that is allowed or not. I didn't flag you, but I can't say if someone else will.

Is he showing any symptoms of lethargy or going off food or water?

MrsB

Last edited:
@acw13 I agree wholeheartedly with what MrsBrooke has said best case if the bird still eats
drinks and poops do as she said.. Bumble foot can only be healed by treatment and help
if your a nursing student you should be able to do this with our guidance and utube

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html - here's another good resource for you -- it sounds less like surgery and more like debreiding which I guess is considered surgical but if it will heal your bird and save his life..... seems simple enough.

Wish I could offer more to help, just when I think I've seen/done it all this is one issue I haven't had to deal with before.

In terms of oral/topical natural antibiotic use you can try colloidal silver and/or oil of oregano. My chickens take both very easily. The silver you can give straight but the oil of oregano must be put into food for them to consume. If applying it topically you'd want to mix it with something like coconut oil so it doesn't burn your bird. Oregano oil is very powerful and concentrated but it will kill any infection just as the silver will.

Good luck, please keep us posted!

I withdrew the campaign, I don't see any help coming for a turkey, maybe for a cat or dog, but not for Koba so I'm having a good friend of mine come over to help. We are going to try to lidocaine the foot and go from there. I tried soaking the foot, but it didn't help. The top scab came off but there's still a huge knot in his foot. I tried pulling out the black, but it looks like a mixture of flesh and I'm worried to proceed without numbing. Koba didn't move a muscle or appear in distress, but I know it has to hurt. So I'm waiting for her (fellow nursing student) with a mammoth bird in my lap, soaking his foot until then. Thank you for the suggestions and words of encouragement, send prayers for a fast recovery.

Edit: left leg is officially numb

Last edited:
I withdrew the campaign, I don't see any help coming for a turkey, maybe for a cat or dog, but not for Koba so I'm having a good friend of mine come over to help. We are going to try to lidocaine the foot and go from there. I tried soaking the foot, but it didn't help. The top scab came off but there's still a huge knot in his foot. I tried pulling out the black, but it looks like a mixture of flesh and I'm worried to proceed without numbing. Koba didn't move a muscle or appear in distress, but I know it has to hurt. So I'm waiting for her (fellow nursing student) with a mammoth bird in my lap, soaking his foot until then. Thank you for the suggestions and words of encouragement, send prayers for a fast recovery.

Edit: left leg is officially numb
hey there soak for close to an hour at a time refresh as it cool but only luke warm
water please do this the removing of it please wait one day so the epsom may do its work

Lidocaine is toxic to birds....

Skip the pain meds. It should only be mild discomfort for the bird.

He'll fidget, but get as much out as you can and pack with turmeric or some kind of antibiotic ointment. :)

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom