What comb type is this?

angnic22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2016
When she was young, it looked like an inny belly button. Lol. I think she's an Americana/RIR mix.

Any idea what comb type this is?

It's not a type, it's a mix. Doesn't conform to a standard type of comb.

I got some similar mixing pea comb and large straight combed birds (EE/Leghorn crosses)....

That is called a telescope/telescoped comb. It looks just like you said, an innie bellybutton on the rear part of the comb.

It's considered a serious defect in showbirds. Other than that it doesn't affect the bird in any other way.

to clarify further, she has an telescoped pea comb. it is true that crosses between comb types often gives funky comb types. however, telescoped comb is a separate and specific genetic fault, not simply a result of mixing comb types. It can pop up in a purebred line and is very difficult to get rid of once it shows up.

Also it usually is visible on pea or rose combs. For some reason it seems to extremely rarely show on single comb, but there was an recent example on here. I suspect this gene can float around in single comb birds with no effect on comb but will show up if bred to a rose or pea combed bird..

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thank you for explaining. I don't show. I just want healthy chickens that produce. I assume this isn't anything health related, rather physical/appearance?

Back
Top Bottom