Duckling can't open mouth on it's own

jrdecat13

Hatching
Oct 27, 2016
I hatched a duckling from an incubator 3 days ago. After it was all dried out I put it in a brooder and dipped its beak in water. It didn't seem to want to drink. I tried multiple times a day to get it to eat/drink. After 24 hours in the brooder with no success (now 48 hrs old) I noticed that it didn't open it's mouth when it peeped at me. I watched it intently for quite a while and sure enough, the little guy just never opens its mouth. We've been opening its beak with our fingers and feeding it honey/yogurt mixture as well as some chick feed (non medicated) dissolved in water. Yesterday another one hatched and is now in the brooder with it. Duckling #1 is developmentally way behind #2. It will see some food and slowly move its head towards it, but just won't peck and eat. When we do force feed it, the mouth will make little tiny chewing motions, but that is the only time I've seen its jaws move on their own, not even when drinking. It will now dip its beak in the water without help and tilt its head back a little, but will never open its mouth when doing so. It seems to really only want to drink when it is sitting in the water dish. All of this little duck's movements are uncoordinated and slow. I put it in the sink to see how it would swim and it did just fine, but can't really do all the "duck things" that they usually do after getting wet. It tries to preen, but usually ends up falling over. About the only duck things I've seen this guy do are poop, swim, and make a mess.

Has anyone with duck experience ever seen this?

Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom