Hen injured from rooster.

allisonb20

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2016
Dalton, GA
Looking for some advice on caring for my rooster's "favorite" hen. He's scratching her under her wing on one side pretty bad, about the size of the bottom of a coke can. Most of it is scabbed over but she has some fresh open cuts. I plan to isolate her until she heals, but is there a spray I can use to help? Peroxide? A way to prevent him from hurting her or my other hens? Is it just a normal part of mating? All of the birds are about 8 months old.

He's a beautiful rooster but I'm considering getting rid of him if he continues to injury my hens. I have friends who will take and raise him.

Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't sure what to do, so i asked Google, but keep and eye on that rooster! Don't let him hurt your hens!

Here is what Google said:
Move it away from the flock to prevent it from being bullied and pecked by the otherchickens. Wash the injury with hot, soapy water and gently pat dry. Using a cotton ball, clean the cut with hydrogen peroxide. Keep the bird in the sick area while recovering.

i hope this helped

Thanks everyone for the help. I pulled out the hen for a few days and sprayed her with blue kote. But last night I pulled out the rooster and move the hens in together because a second hen has a open wound. Hopefully my hens will all heal soon. I've been trying to use soapy water but they arent having it. I am going to try chicken saddles for them as my final choice for mister rooster. Hopefully they work. I've seen a lot of good reviews for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom