Help, my rooster has big cyst on wing

Wfpendragon

Chirping
Mar 13, 2016
Wisconsin
Hey all, I just noticed my polish rooster dragging his wing and upon inspection found a huge crusty cyst on the tip near his feather follicles:

As you can see I clipped the feathers away for easier viewing. I'm not sure what this is, though I think it might be an abscess from an ingrown feather, as he molted recently when getting in adult feathers. I have him inside on antibiotics, but not sure what else I could do. Please help.

Sorry for your loss. Mareks disease can cause tumors all over the body, and commonly paralysis of one or both legs or wings. Have you had any other unexplained illnesses or deaths? Were your birds vaccinated for Mareks?

We've had 2 die so far, one who became really weak and emaciated, the other developed a severe respiratory infection and had a cyst on his ear, and this one had the wing tumor. Hubby did a necropsy on him but we found nothing of note, no tumors inside.

I would get any other sick or dying birds necropsied by the state vet to look for a cause of death. Avian lymphatic leukosis and Mareks are both things that can cause tumors. The main difference in the two, is that leukosis doesn't cause paralysis of extremties as Mareks frequently does.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom