Do fishers migrate?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay idk if the title is accurate but about a week or so ago we heard fisher cats, real big ruckus. Dog was outside. Like they were fighting or something. Actually i initially saw a flash run by past the coop and heard them then it started again in the front yard.

ANYWAY.

I haven't heard them since so I'm wondering if they are still in the area even if I don't hear them or if it's possible they were just passing through/migrated on????

Thanks in advance

Most likely it was one that was recently weaned and was out looking for a new home for itself. If so, after being invited to a dog fight, it may not come back.

Thanks for the reply!!

And sorry, I probably should have clarified because I just reread my post and realized it's a little bit confusing.

When I said they I meant like 2 fisher cats, probably shouldn't have put that right after i said the dog, sorry.

Anyways, the first was almost like a screech or something and I saw a flash run by into the woods in the backyard so idk if they were chasing something? The dog was going to the bathroom but heard/saw this too and came running over, barking. Then when we were trying to bring him inside it started up again, this time in the front yard and this was really loud and scary sounding. It sounded like they (maybe two fishers) were fighting. Or maybe just one loud one? Either way, the dog heard that too and went running to the side yard as far as his rope would reach (our yard isn't fenced). He was barking like crazy but we did finally get him in. It was dark so we couldn't see much however he wasn't injured so maybe he was just out of reach of the fisher or they were out of reach of him? But they likely did get pretty darn close. Plus he was barking his head off, going nuts. And he is a big dog, black Lab and Great Pyrenees mix, 137 pounds last time he was at the vet this summer. Probably gone up or down since but BIG dog either way and scary, intimidating bark.

Soooo... do you think even if they didn't actually make physical contact and fight that him being right there was still enough to send the fisher cat (or cats) running and never looking back?
1f602.png

Last edited:
Okay, I guess they probably weren't fighting? But trust me, it sounded way louder and more intimidating/terrifying in person.

And apologies for my mother freaking out in the videos and me being a little rude near the end of the second one ha

She was worried.

And i think the dog was caught around something so my dad untangled him and instead of keeping the leash short and bringing him in let him run all the way to the side yard near the fishers so she was mad about that too
1f602.png
maybe it was an accident, idk.

Anyway, that's all irrelevant. We were all a little wrong I'm sure. Here are the noises we heard. Again, way louder and scarier in person
1f602.png

ALSO.

Maybe this isn't even a fisher?

Any insight on what it is would be helpful.

Could be anything.....fighting, killing something, mating.

I hear stuff like that pretty frequently...have no idea what it is usually.

I can't tell either. I did once witness a pair of raccoons fighting and you would not believe the ruckus they made. What I heard on the video could have been that too.

Whatever the case, provided the coop is tight and secure does it matter? Normal assumption is there are all manner of varmints roaming about after dark.......things we never see but would be horrified if we knew how often and how close they get. Knowing that.......you build it so none of them can get in and even though they have been around, morning comes and you find no harm was done. Like it never even happened.

Thanks everyone :)

I actually looked up fisher cat noises on YouTube and saw some comments saying it could be a fox actually so then I googled it myself and found out that supposedly fishers are usually pretty quiet and no one's ever actually seen them screaming, most of the "fisher screams" are actually foxes. Sooo needless to say, I then Googled fox screams and sure enough, it sounds just like it. So I think it might actually be a red fox or two. I know we have foxes because I've seen them. I'm actually really glad because fishers are pretty scary. But who knows for sure what it is.

Anyway, you are right, it doesn't really matter what it is, I was more just curious because I had never heard that noise before. I also found it strange because we're not extremely rural, we're on about 3 acres set back in the woods but there's houses literally right behind us and condos around. There are cranberry bogs across the street but still, I would expect noises out in the country but not around here.

But whatever it is seems to have moved on.

And the chickens are secure and will be even more secure when we finally finish the new coop.

There was however a fox a couple months ago that came to visit a couple times and ran laps around the pen but couldn't get in. So I guess I'll just have to be extra careful. Good news though is right now they're in a dog kennel/run so my thinking is if it can keep dogs in, it can surely keep dogs (or other canids like foxes, etc.) Out.

Last edited:
I've heard little else that was as hair raising as a grey fox 'scream'.

Had one visiting regularly a few years ago, the first time I heard it I about soiled my pants.
Was lucky to be able to shine a spotlight out back window and see it on top of huge log in back field about 60 feet from house.
Spotlight did not spook it at all and it vocalized several more times while I was watching before it moved on.
It was amazing to see that! It was around all summer and I heard it regularly.

Was very glad to know what 'that noise' was for sure....and now can ID other fox calling and hear them on occasion.
There was another out in the woods this summer but I never saw it.

Back
Top Bottom