HELP!

teamschmid

Hatching
Oct 28, 2016
One of my chicks pipped about 36 hours ago and it is happily chirping. However, it is not making any progress...What should I do?

I've assisted multiple chicks hatching, and it is an art more than a science. If it hasn't made any progress, I would suggest carefully picking a bit of the shell away in a ring. If there is any sign of bleeding, stop. If the bleeding is more than one drop, put a bit of paper towel or toilet paper on it and it will stop it. If the chick continues to struggle, you can finish the ring and let the chick push out on its own. Sometimes chicks are slower than others, but if its over a day, then usually a little help is called for.
A needle carefully used to break through the membrane can be used if the chick's beak isn't managing to get through a thicker membrane. Take care and go slowly. Stop after just a couple pieces are removed and let the chick rest in the incubator and work at it by its self. A chick assisted may do perfectly fine or may be weaker and need a couple days with vitamin/electrolyte water to help it strengthen up.

Your chick sounds strong. It may just be positioned wrong. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Thank you. I am at work all day, but will try when I get home. I have a few other chicks hatching right now while I am gone and I am hoping maybe they will help out. I will keep you posted. I hope to not have to intervene. However, if I have to I will carefully and cautiously.

Ok, so when I got home the chick had died. My kids were not as sad as I thought they would be. They wanted me to remove the shell so they could see what the chick looks like inside the shell. You win some, you lose some. I guess you make it a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom