Butchering shortcut?

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of or tried this butchering shortcut.

I was watching one of the Survival shows recently(I think it was Dual Survival) and they caught a game bird. they demonstrated a butchering shortcut that looked interesting.

After the bird was dispatched, they laid the bird on the ground on it's back. They then put their feet on each wing at the shoulder and grabbed the feet and pulled. What happened next was pretty surprising so I'm not even sure if it was real or staged.
As they pulled, the wings and most of the innards and skin appeared to come right off and they were left with the main part of the carcass attached to the legs.

when I butcher my old layers I skin them and just cut off the wings anyway so I'm interested in the method if it really works. I'm going to try it this weekend when I cull some of my old layers. I'll post back and let you all know if it worked as I saw.

i can tell you it works with game birds, that's how we clean sharp tail grouse. not sure if it works with older birds i know it does not work with ducks or geese i believe,

It definitely works! We used to do it with partridge also. I hadn't thought about trying it with a chicken though.

How do the guts come out without cutting something some where like around the vent.
Would like to see that...@yyz0yyz0 ...link to the show episode?.... and did you try it with layers?

Back
Top Bottom