Goats

Cohl0406

Songster
5 Years
May 29, 2014
I'm looking into getting 2-3 goats. We live in south Texas, it's November and it's still pretty hot outside, not even a nice cool 80 or so. What would be the best shelter? We will be using the goats for milk. Also what's the easiest fencing to put up? Thinking the Nigerian dwarf or mini nubians would be a good fit for us.

Nigerians are great dairy goat. At those temperatures shelter and fencing is more to ward off predators than to protect the goats from the climate but I don't know that I would recommend the 'easiest' fencing but rather select a type of fence that can deter predator invasions.

We are prone to have the rare mountain lion... coyotes and bob cats although I'm not sure if bob cats would pose a threat? I guess when I say easiest I mean what would work best. I'd also likely be putting it up by myself so something that's not crazy heavy.

I would look into some electrified poultry netting. Look around the internet and you should be able to find it. It is easy to put up and from what I have read it does a good job of discouraging predators. It is called poultry netting but it is used for a variety of animals.

I would if my children were older but my oldest will be just turning 5 around the time we would be able to get them and I want her and my son who's not far behind in age to be able to safely "help out."

It isn't that hard for children to learn where the gate is. At the worst they might get zapped once or twice but it is a mild shock and it won't hurt them. I was a lot younger than five when I learned about electric fences. That said, I have had good luck with stock panels. There are several different kinds.

I know some goat keepers make a jungle gym of climbing areas for their goats. Some even have trampolines. Seems to keep them very happy and of course a riot of fun to watch.

I love the way the youngsters, I call goatlets, bounce around like their have springs on their feet.

some of my goats toys they have kiddy slide play houses big wooden spools I find all there toys at garage sales

That's a great idea! I was planning on tossing some older smaller outside kid toys I had but I'll keep them now!

Back
Top Bottom