2 day old silkie hurt its leg

laura29532

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2016
today I noticed my two day old silkie holding his leg out from his body.
I have him in with two 3-4 day old ameracauna and 2 blue wyandottes.
he seemed to doing doing fine, he's eating and drinking just fine.
his poop is normal. I think maybe one of the others might have laid on him
as he loves to cuddle with the other babies. I keep the temp at 95/96
he hatched a couple days later than they did..
If I move his leg he seems fine, when I hold him he holds it right
just walking or sitting he holds it straight out from his body (to the left)
I have seen where they splint bigger chickens with hurt legs, can he
be splinted.? I'm hoping its not dislocated at the hip, wouldn't he keep it
that way if it were.? sometimes he walks just fine, others he sticks it
straight out..am I being to worried.? he is my only silkie thats hatched so far.
I have four more hatching the next few days..I hope..what can I do.?
he looks hurt, but I can move it, I hear no snapping or slipping.
he doesn't seem to be in pain, he just looks at me as if to say, hey, what ya doing...
here he was one day old just moved to the box..

Glad to say he's doing great now thank God..I wrapped a cloth around his legs just below his thighs..didn't want to use a rubber band, thought it would hurt him..two days and he was walking fine again..he's almost three weeks old and running and hopping around like nothing was ever wrong...Lol he's so tiny it was hard to get it set just right around his little legs but I did it..I think one of the other chicks stepped on him or tripped over him..they were a bit bigger then, but not by much..he hated to be alone for those days..:( Thank God three other silkies hatched a few days later to keep him company when the band came off..nine very happy babies today..:)

Glad to say he's doing great now thank God..I wrapped a cloth around his legs just below his thighs..didn't want to use a rubber band, thought it would hurt him..two days and he was walking fine again..he's almost three weeks old and running and hopping around like nothing was ever wrong...Lol he's so tiny it was hard to get it set just right around his little legs but I did it..I think one of the other chicks stepped on him or tripped over him..they were a bit bigger then, but not by much..he hated to be alone for those days..
sad.png
Thank God three other silkies hatched a few days later to keep him company when the band came off..nine very happy babies today..
smile.png
Thank you for the update - I'm happy to hear all is well and that he is a happy baby!

Glad to say he's doing great now thank God..I wrapped a cloth around his legs just below his thighs..didn't want to use a rubber band, thought it would hurt him..two days and he was walking fine again..he's almost three weeks old and running and hopping around like nothing was ever wrong...Lol he's so tiny it was hard to get it set just right around his little legs but I did it..I think one of the other chicks stepped on him or tripped over him..they were a bit bigger then, but not by much..he hated to be alone for those days..:( Thank God three other silkies hatched a few days later to keep him company when the band came off..nine very happy babies today..:)
hey 2 of my newly bought 3day old chicks fell yesterday from 5foot height and hurt there legs.Next day I noticed when they were limping I applied ointments.one of them looks alright but making sleepy noises and other one has no effect countinoisly limping but he loves to roam around with his mates.please suggest me for how many days u wraped ur silkys legs with cloth and what else u did?

I first tried little rubber bands my grand daughter had to make small braids in her hair..they were tiny, 1/2 inch maybe, but he slipped that off real quick..Lol then I made it cross like a figure eight, that lasted about a day..getting frustrated I found thin cloth material, cut it into 1/2 - 3/4" strips about 3" long. Did the same as the figure eight band then used masking tape to hold. He's a Skokie and didn't want to hurt skin or feathers..it takes two set of hands and lots of patience..be gentle, and not make it too tight, just enough it don't slip off. Just snug..make sure his legs are in the normal position when your done or they'll grow crooked..it was a patience tester for sure..I tried to make a walker type get up I'd seen online but he was just too tiny..good luck

Glad to say he's doing great now thank God..I wrapped a cloth around his legs just below his thighs..didn't want to use a rubber band, thought it would hurt him..two days and he was walking fine again..he's almost three weeks old and running and hopping around like nothing was ever wrong...Lol he's so tiny it was hard to get it set just right around his little legs but I did it..I think one of the other chicks stepped on him or tripped over him..they were a bit bigger then, but not by much..he hated to be alone for those days..
sad.png
Thank God three other silkies hatched a few days later to keep him company when the band came off..nine very happy babies today..
smile.png
Good to hear he is well :)

I first tried little rubber bands my grand daughter had to make small braids in her hair..they were tiny, 1/2 inch maybe, but he slipped that off real quick..Lol then I made it cross like a figure eight, that lasted about a day..getting frustrated I found thin cloth material, cut it into 1/2 - 3/4" strips about 3" long. Did the same as the figure eight band then used masking tape to hold. He's a Skokie and didn't want to hurt skin or feathers..it takes two set of hands and lots of patience..be gentle, and not make it too tight, just enough it don't slip off. Just snug..make sure his legs are in the normal position when your done or they'll grow crooked..it was a patience tester for sure..I tried to make a walker type get up I'd seen online but he was just too tiny..good luck
update the little one is perfectly fine now.Ur idea worked.I applied ointment for three days and tied cloth on the hurted leg at night time everyday .Yesterday morning he was roaming jumping with no limping at all.I'm so happy thank u and byc.

Back
Top Bottom