Unresponding chicken in shock??

sam2002

Hatching
Nov 23, 2016
We have six silkies that live in a well-secured coop and run. A dog we were taking care of for a few days busted through the fence (he's a lab) and injured two of our girls. We took the other two to the vet where one was treated with a vitamin to boost her endorphins (for shock) and the other had a puncture wound on her foot and wing bandaged.

The foot-and-wing wounded chicken can walk very slowly and hops around in the isolation pen we have made her. She has been drinking from a syringe and eating a few grains of food. The unresponsive chicken won't open her eyes all the way, won't cluck, and when I set her down on a hard surface she can't or won't stand up. She did drink out of a syringe but I had to lift her head up as she can't/won't do it herself. It has been almost twelve hours and she's in a box with towels and lies motionless with her head down. She has pooped twice, a little smeared from her position but other than that normal. Have not tried to give food. Any suggestions?

I have had one or two hens that went into shock, usually just takes time for them to get over it... I had one that would hardly move for over a day, just keep food and water within pecking distance and keep them seperated from the flock.

Thank you, we're hoping that by tomorrow morning she'll be a little more responsive.

She did lift her head up to drink when I held the bottle near her, but won't drink unless I hold it right into her beak. When will she start drinking on her own again?

She did lift her head up to drink when I held the bottle near her, but won't drink unless I hold it right into her beak. When will she start drinking on her own again?

It sounds like she is still in shock. Did she have any other injuries?

Try using a shallow dish to offer her water. If you have them add in some poultry vitamins or give just a small amount of sugar water to see if she will take it. Try your best to keep her hydrated, food is secondary.

The vet said she was not injured any more but she has been limping around gingerly on her right foot...

The vet said she was not injured any more but she has been limping around gingerly on her right foot...

This is the "unresponsive" chicken that you first posted about?

If so, that is a good sign that she is moving-even though limping gingerly.

Keep her separated with her own food/water. If you have them offer some poultry vitamin in the water. Give her some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. An injury to the legs/feet can take a while to heal so give her some time. Make sure she is staying hydrated.

Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom