Feathers like hairs?

mirandalola

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2016
NorthEast Texas, USA
I've butchered my first three chickens and I'm not sure what to do about these feathers. Perhaps I didn't scald the birds hot enough, but they all have lots of hairlike feathers that don't come out easily. These are light-skinned, dark-feathered birds, so it's rather unappetizing to look at!

If I just throw them in the stockpot, will those hairlike feathers come out in the stock? Should I just skin them before I cook them?

I found this link helpful. If you don't want to do the reading then.... It basically says that you can singe the tiny feathers off. In videos I have seen a propane torch used to do that step. I am not sure if they would end up floating around in the stock if you just put the bird in as is. I do know you lose a lot of flavor if you skin the bird first.
Best wishes for a good outcome.

http://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/articles/how-process-chickens-home

If your making stock and soup then you don't need to scorch the hairs. They stay in the skin and the skin is discarded after making stock or soup. Otherwise propane torches are awesome, takes a few seconds to clean the bird of hair.

You are seeing why commercial broilers are white and only light-colored birds were ever used as commercial meat birds. Those hair feathers stay behind on all birds but light feathers don’t stand out like dark feathers do. You get a much prettier carcass with white or very light feathered birds. If you happen to butcher a bird that is molting, especially a dark feathered bird, you will get a lot of those dark pin-feathers. Not the hair looking things you saw but really dark patches of dark liquid under the skin. If you get one like that it’s probably worth skinning.

Growing up on the farm when I butchered a bird for Mom I’d light a sheet of newspaper and pass the bird through that fire, being careful not to scorch the bird. Ours were darker birds. You don’t have to remove those hair-like feathers but a lot of people do. It won’t hurt you to eat them if they survive your cooking method.

Back
Top Bottom