What got my chickens **GRAPHIC**

homestead 101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 31, 2016
I found the feet, some guts and feathers every where. I am thinking it was a smaller animal.

What are the usual suspects where you live? That's really destructive behavior, less about feeding than just killing.

I would lean towards the raccoon/possum. Do you know how they got in? A moment like this is tragic, but also an opportunity to fortify your coop and run.

Last edited:
It looks like it could be a coyote to me. Had that before. I did notice that your fencing was pretty loose near the bottom stud. I always put a smaller and tighter, usually 1/2 x 1/2" fence over my chicken wire. That makes it harder for predators to get my babies. Hope this has been helpful to you. You can get that tighter fencing at most home improvement centers. Another trick is to bury 6-12 inches of the smaller stuff underground, and let the rest go up the side of the chicken coop. That way, the diggers will be deterred. Hope this has been helpful. I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree that it was something smaller than a coyote. In my experience, a coyote is more of a snatch and go predator. My first recommendation would be to secure that run. Reinforce the chicken wire (which, as you have unfortunately found out, keeps chickens in but does not keep predators out) with some welded wire.

Coyotes and foxes tend to take their prey. Hawks too. My guess would be raccoon or possum. It doesn't look like a domestic dog would be able to get in there. Set a trap.

Back
Top Bottom