Ducks in Chicken Coop & Pond Distance

Maeschak

Songster
Mar 29, 2016
Maryland, USA
Hello All,

I am thinking of getting some Muscovy's and Pekins in the Spring. I am hoping that they will be breeders for future meat ducks. I have a pond on my property and it is about 100 yards from the chicken coop. So I have two questions: (1) Can I keep my ducks in the chicken coop with chickens (I guess Muscovys can perch on the roosts although I may have to strengthen them) and the Pekins can lay on the ground, (2) will the ducks make their way to the pond that is about 100 yards from the coop?

I adopted a stray Pekin over the summer (eventually died due to weasel attack) and she would never go to the pond. I felt so bad for her because every day she would exit the coop with all the chickens but couldnt eat/drink from the chicken feeders and waterers so every darn day I had to drag gallons and gallons of water down the coop just for the duck to drink and bathe in. Plus, I eventually had to throw her food into the water because all the chickens would eat her food when I just put it on the ground. (Chickens wouldnt go into the water for the food). I never understood why she just wouldnt go to the pond but am chalking it up to her being brought up in a place without a pond. (Plus my pond has tons of duckweed so maybe she was scared that she couldnt see into the water?)

Any info is appreciated.

My second strategy would be to simply make a moveable hoop coop and place it next to the pond but really dont want to have to roam all over the place every night closing up the chickens and ducks.

I guess I should note that i only plan on keeping 1 Muscovy drake and currently have two roosters. (One rooster is the most timid thing ever).

The ducks should be able to travel to the pond just fine- once they find it they won't want to leave it!

I would recommend building/buying a second coop for the ducks and place it next to the pond otherwise the ducks will make a muddy path between the coop and pond. Also since the Pekins will sleep on the floor of the coop, the chickens and Muscovies roosting above them will poop all over them. Good Luck!

Thanks so much chickygirl7!

So you think they will drag in that much water from 100 yards away? It is a nice pasture/grassy area between pond and coop which is a converted horse stall.

And I have a poop board (actually it is a cattle bunk feeder filled with DE) under the roosts so there is no room under the roosts for the Pekins to get pooped on...My adopted Pekin just sort of made a little bed in the corner for herself, bless her heart. I only had her for like a month but holy cow I just fell in love with her. Broke my heart when the weasel got to her and I had to put her down. Cried like a baby and I have butchered numerous chickens and had many many taken by predators- none of them bothered me like having to put down the Pekin, they are just so darn cute.

I would rather not have to build another hoop-coop (I use one now for my excess dinner cockerels) because that would entail more work :) and then I would have to move the darn thing every week so I could mow around the pond.... maybe I will start them off in the coop and make a hoop-coop if I need to... but it is good to hear they will find the pond on their own! I cannot stand dragging water down to the barn just for the chickens and ducks use SOOOOO much more. It just wouldnt be feasible to have the ducks in the chicken coop if they wont go get their own water...

Any more info is really appreciated from any and all out there!

Sorry for not replying sooner- I've just seen your post now.

I think you should see how you go with having ducks and chickens sharing a coop. You may have to clean it out a little more often but it should be okay, especially with the fact that you have a poop board.

I have also found that more absorbent bedding keeps the coop a LOT cleaner with ducks.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom