Peacocks live to?

peacock teen

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2016
Has anyone here have a peacock die of just old age i was wondering how long they live i read online some can live to 50 but i want to know if that was legit or just rare. My peacocks i have had for a while are only a little over a year, though i do have a couple newer/younger ones.:idunno

A Google search indicates 15 years in the wild 20 to23 in captivity.
idunno.gif

@barkerg
This question looks like your department! :D

Based on my experience and observations, IB peafowl roosters start to show their age in their late teens at around 18'ish yrs old. They will usually stop roosting and taking care of themselves ie... dust baths and preening and will display signs of arthritis mainly in their legs and toes. IB hens seem to have a shorter life span and usually start displaying the same symptoms at or around the age of 15yrs old and in many cases they will stop laying and start to look like a male ie... extended tail feathers and blue breast/neck feathers much in the same way as chicken hens when they get old and start crowing or attempt to crow. Ive heard of birds making it to the age of 30 but, We personally have never had one last that long yet. Some people believe that they live to 50+ yrs, personally I have not witnessed this and it can lend itself to a good debate. Im doubtful that they can live past 30yrs old but, there are always exceptions,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

It also depends alot on genes. Regular IB's are going to live longer than most of the other color mutations due to the inbreeding needed to get the colors established and consistent.

Back
Top Bottom