Day 23 I can see them moving in the shell when I candle them but no pips, no cheeps no rolling

ruprolife

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 5, 2016
Desperately need help! I have read almost every thread and article there is and I'm sure I'm going to be told I need to wait. Found hen on eggs on Sunday 11/6. Not my hen, belongs to a friend. She sat on them outside in long grass in temps from 60's all the way down to the 20's until 11/21 or 11/22. Had a snow storm on 11/17 and she was covered by the tall grass & snow drift over that. Basically an igloo. Like I said, not my hen! On 11/20 she was dug out with all the eggs, she was still sitting on them, and moved to a nest in a barn. I think its a miracle she was alive was LIVID that anyone would treat their animals this way but that's for another thread! On 11/22 got a styrofoam incubator and was given permission to take the eggs because with her last clutch she had eaten half or more of the eggs and started to kill the chicks as they started to hatch. I had them at 99 with about 70% humidity and took them out of the automatic turner on Friday 11/25. I did boost their temp to about 101 on Saturday or Sunday. Soooooooo........after all of that information here we are. I didn't really think any of the chicks would make it so I candled them on Sunday11/27. Of the 17 eggs 12 are definitely moving in their shells! (i saw this by candling) and There is only one that looks like it had broken through the air sac (I saw that yesterday when I candled them because I'm going insane waiting). But there is no pipping, no chirping, no rolling around! Help me please! Thank you so much for all the information here! I'd be so lost with you!

If you see movement then leave them alone and wait....just like you thought you'd hear.
tongue.png
It could be they're a bit delayed with the snow storm and cold temps. Do not turn up the heat, though! Also, if you see they've pipped through the air cell then close the incubator and don't open it again until they've hatched. Raise the humidity a bit and hopefully you'll have some chicks in the next day or so. Best of luck!

If they have pipped through the air cell don't they run out of air in 24 hours? I have one that has gone through the air cell. I'm worried because there is no chirps or egg movement.

They will normally hatch within 24 hours after pipping through the egg cell....if they're going to hatch. Has it been that long since you noticed the pipped one? Once they get to those last few days they really shouldn't be messed with at all. They're getting into position to hatch. They are also pretty stuffed in the shell at the end and rest quite a bit during hatching. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but it's really just a waiting game.

Nope! Not discouraging at all. I really appreciate the help! I didn't think any were alive considering the rough start they had. I need to settle down. I've got it in my head they are going to die shrink wrapped in their shells.

I understand that completely! I drive my husband crazy with every hatch because I'm sure something has happened and they won't hatch. Yours really have had a rough start and it may be that none hatch, even with all your help. Even though I do often help chicks that are obviously shrink wrapped after starting to zip, it's not something I even attempt when they haven't pipped. Just try to be patient and hopefully you'll be rewarded with some sweet little chicks! They're obviously pretty strong to have made it this far! Make sure you keep us posted!
fl.gif

I am hearing cheeps!!!!! I cannot believe it! It is a glorious sound! No movement but cheeps! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom