My three months broilers are not eating

Kingable

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2016
All conditions been equal,I'm now so worried as I can't make my birds to eat much. I'm so messed up with much ideas that has not worked yet.

Help pleeeease!!!!!

The way I understand it, you are supposed to be eating them at 3 months!
wink.png

More information definitely needed....as previous poster requests.... plus management system ie free range, tractor, penned or barn?
What ideas have you tried? Did you change their feed suddenly? Sometimes they will go on hunger strike for a couple of days if they don't like a new feed. Generally chickens don't like change.

The way I understand it, you are supposed to be eating them at 3 months! ;)

More information definitely needed....as previous poster requests.... plus management system ie free range, tractor, penned or barn?  
What ideas have you tried? Did you change their feed suddenly? Sometimes they will go on hunger strike for a couple of days if they don't like a new feed. Generally chickens don't like change.

I agree with @rebrascora. While I am not an expert on broilers I do know they have very short life spans. Eventually their weight (because they grow so unusually fast) becomes too much to bear. And they become very lethargic and their for die of dehydration or starvation. It sounds like your birds are ready to be processed and put out of their misery.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest posting on the "Meat birds etc" forum, but most meaties reach slaughter weight way before 3 months.

CT

I've got 5 Wyndotte 'pullets' about 34wks old, not laying that did the same a last week! They basically stopped/barely ate, I panicked. Had switch feed from DuMore Layer to Flock Raiser with Oyster Shells on the side (ferment their feed) a few days earlier & they gobbled it up. I stopped all treats, just left their FF out over night would be gone in the morning. The odd part is they'ed eat out of my hand, my Mom says the feed is "cold" & my hand warms it up so they prefer it warmed. She maybe right but not sticking their feed in the micro 2 - 3x day!

Learned seems they go off feed when it get cold, although you'd think it the opposite since we eat more when cold. I was also reassured going to higher protein would satisfy them sooner. Anyway this "begging" them to eat went on for a few days, now they're eating again. Don't know what the problem was/is.

Mine were pooping & their water level went down, they were lively and no difference in activity, looked fine just barely ate. What ever it was, it "cured" itself. So unless they're acting/looking sick, keep their feed & water available, wait and see. Keep us posted.

I never heard of meat birds that wouldn't eat. I think they generally eat themselves to death if not processed early enough.

Back
Top Bottom