Hens pushing shavings out of nest boxes

Mr Potatoes

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
Hello!
Ok, I have 5 salmon Faverolles who started laying about a month ago. Everything's going great, except that when they use the next boxes, they scratch around and all of the shavings goes out of the boxes. I do have a little board across them to try to stop the shavings, but it's only about an inch and a half tall. Any ideas?

Hello!
Ok, I have 5 salmon Faverolles who started laying about a month ago. Everything's going great, except that when they use the next boxes, they scratch around and all of the shavings goes out of the boxes. I do have a little board across them to try to stop the shavings, but it's only about an inch and a half tall. Any ideas?
frow.gif

I have a few hens that scratch about like crazy. - the only thing you can do is put a bigger lip on the nest boxes, which will keep some of the shavings in. Have a picture of the nest boxes?

they use the next boxes, they scratch around and all of the shavings goes out of the boxes.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I hold the bag in place with these paper binders.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy

images

Last edited:
That lip board across the front needs to be at least 3" high and 4" would be better if you have the room. I use a deep layer of hay, so it can't be scratched out. Mine also have wire bottoms to allow dust and dirt and any cracked eggs (none so far) to fall through. My nest boxes can be removed and if need be, those wire bottoms torched with a flame to as the old guys called it.......kill every living thing.

Back
Top Bottom