Production hens needing homes

rejeana

Hatching
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
The organic meat and egg farm I work for is retiring a flock of laying hens. I asked my boss if I could try to re-home some or all of them before they are culled. They are 2-3 years old, pasture raised, organic fed. Red star, RIR and Leghorns. There are also a few roosters in the flock. Total number of birds is around 750. We are in Illinois about 80 miles south of Chicago. Is there anyone in the area that would like to give a few of these great ladies a loving retirement home? Many of them still lay, but are past the peak laying age.

Hello and good day to you. If you're willing to transport them, I'll be happy to take them in. I'm located in Northwest Indiana, roughly 56miles away from Chicago :) .

Last edited:
Hi. Can I be blunt..... Please don't take offense. Re-homing these gals means offering them up for butcher. There's very few pet chicken owners that have room... yet a very nobel effort. But i think these old gals have numbered days... anyone offering to take to re-home might -could-probably be just going to either eat them or sell them to be eaten. .. blunt yes... if i am off base, then others will chime in i am sure. Why are they closing??
it is a very good time for organic eggs and chicken meat..... just curious.
Just to say it aloud, i tend to be perceived as insensitive sometimes, but i have let quite a few ladies be rehomed, right well knowing that there was a stew pot in the equation. ...
you have a big heart... actually a huge heart... but it is what is is with "expired" layers.... good luck.

Hello,

I saw you were looking at re-homing production hens. I am very interested.

I am in Bloomington Indiana, how far away are you?

Thanks,

Carrie

Hello,
If they still need homes I am willing to take some in if you are willing to ship them? I do not know how shipping works, but I could even send you some money for the costs (after I receive the birds). I also have RIR and leghorns and I do not mind that they are past peak egg production since most o mine are as well. As long as they still lay occasionally I'll take them (some of them). I do free range all of my chickens, and I give them a few too many treats, so they would have a good home. The most I could honestly take would be around 10-15, as I may have a large yard, but the coop they go into for night doesn't have much room left and needs to be upgraded if I add more birds.
But I don't like the sound of all 750 being culled just or the heck of it.

I actually got my chickens originally because they were going to be killed and wasted if no one took them.
I live in North Carolina, so it is a little far, and like I said already, I don't really know how shipping them works and if it is even safe or reasonable for the distance.

I have RIR hens, and White Leghorn hens, and I could even take a leghorn rooster. But I have a red roo so don't need any of those.

Are there any hens left? I'm interested in taking three of them. I live in Chicago so I could come and pick them up.

Thanks

id be surprised if there were NOT any left, lol.

as for 'closing'... I have the impression they arent going out of business... they are just turning over the flock that is no longer economical, to replace it with new younger ones... am I right?

Would you be willing to ship them? If so how much would that cost. I just moved to a large property will a huge space for chickens and am looking to start a large flock but I'm in CA maybe that just way too far but I would rather take in hens that need homes so I thought I would ask...

Back
Top Bottom