Urgent help

eggmandoo

Chirping
Oct 14, 2016
Notts, uk
Hi. I've just come home and found my 16 week old leghorn with blood down his neck. He was in my chick pen with 5 others (3 are 24 weeks and two are 16 weeks ). On examining her neck I found an open wound. This has been caused by pecking or being attacked by another. I have seen one of the older ones asserting herself in recent weeks. I tried cleaning the dried blood on the neck. As soon as I put her back in the pen two of the older ones went straight for the wound. I can't stay with them as I have to return to work. For. Now I have put the injured one in the coop on her own and locked her in.
What can I do about this all. I am planning on keeping the leghorn seperate till the wound has healed. I don't think a vet can do anything.
Another big concern is that no matter what I can't allow all 6 to stay together anymore

Hi. I've just come home and found my 16 week old leghorn with blood down his neck. He was in my chick pen with 5 others (3 are 24 weeks and two are 16 weeks ). On examining her neck I found an open wound. This has been caused by pecking or being attacked by another. I have seen one of the older ones asserting herself in recent weeks. I tried cleaning the dried blood on the neck. As soon as I put her back in the pen two of the older ones went straight for the wound. I can't stay with them as I have to return to work. For. Now I have put the injured one in the coop on her own and locked her in.
What can I do about this all. I am planning on keeping the leghorn seperate till the wound has healed. I don't think a vet can do anything.
Another big concern is that no matter what I can't allow all 6 to stay together anymore

Welcome to BYC

For the wound, when you get home, wash it with warm soapy water or flush it with some saline, then apply a triple antibiotic ointment or something like Vetericyn.

Take some time and evaluate the space you have. One of the most common causes of pecking is overcrowding. Anytime there is blood involved, chickens become cannibals and there is a free-for-all. (How large is the chick pen?) Depending on the severity of the wound (any photos), you can also apply some Blue-Kote after you have cleaned it up, this will "hide" the wound. Place her in a wire kennel next to the others so they can see her but not touch. This will still make her "part" of the group, but will allow her to heal. This also makes re-integration much easier.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html

Back
Top Bottom