Found roo hanging by foot

ListoPollo

Chirping
7 Years
May 1, 2016
I found my rooster hanhing by his foot when I got home from work yesterday. I have no way of knowing, but I fear he wad like that the whole day.
When I found him his body wad on the ground with his leg still hung up in the air. The position he was in did not look comfortable by any means.
His left wing looks droopy and his right foot (the one he was hanging by) is certainly injuried, but I cant quite figure it out.
Sometimes i think it is his foot, and sometimes his leg. Currently I'm thinking that he cant feel his foot.
Im hoping this picture will spark thoughts as to what exactly is wrong and how i can help him along.
He mostly just lies still. I know he has moved about and changed position, but he cannot stand. When Ive seem him try he sort of paws his foot at the ground before falling back doen. His toes don't open wide, but the are not all curled up either.
When he does get up out of lsing position he looks to be resting on his "knee"
He is eating and drinking, but he does appear to be breathing fast/hard sometimes (maybe just from me handeling him to try and figure things out).
Does he meed a shoe, a splint, a sling, or for me to leave him be?

I hope you get a response from some foot-knowledgable people. It does appear from the photo that he can't put weight on it - either a break or severe strain. If he is eating and drinking, and his breathing is OK when you aren't fiddling with him, I'd suggest leaving him with warmth, close food and water in a comfortable spot, until you hear back about possible bracing.

i would say give him more time, keep him separated, and warm
probably would not hurt to give him some pain meds but i dont know the dosing
i would say he has strained his leg and it may come back into it with time

Good Luck
fl.gif

I found my rooster hanhing by his foot when I got home from work yesterday. I have no way of knowing, but I fear he wad like that the whole day.
When I found him his body wad on the ground with his leg still hung up in the air. The position he was in did not look comfortable by any means.
His left wing looks droopy and his right foot (the one he was hanging by) is certainly injuried, but I cant quite figure it out.
Sometimes i think it is his foot, and sometimes his leg. Currently I'm thinking that he cant feel his foot.
Im hoping this picture will spark thoughts as to what exactly is wrong and how i can help him along.
He mostly just lies still. I know he has moved about and changed position, but he cannot stand. When Ive seem him try he sort of paws his foot at the ground before falling back doen. His toes don't open wide, but the are not all curled up either.
When he does get up out of lsing position he looks to be resting on his "knee"
He is eating and drinking, but he does appear to be breathing fast/hard sometimes (maybe just from me handeling him to try and figure things out).
Does he meed a shoe, a splint, a sling, or for me to leave him be?

Unless you want to pay for a trip to the vet, there is no way to know exactly what is injured. I do have a cockerel that got his foot stuck in the welded wire fencing when he was younger. The silly thing tried to jump the fence. After a few days of not bearing weight on the leg, he was fine. I don't see any spurs, so am I correct in assuming this is a young bird? And there is no obvious break? Young birds heal very quickly, he will probably be just fine in a few days.
To assess possible nerve damage pick him up, and place your fingers under his foot, like a perch. He should reflexively curl his toes to grasp. If he does, then the nerves and blood supply to the foot have not been damaged.

No obvious breaks. He is young, 4 months, so I hope that gives him a leg up (no pun intended). My husband already thinks I'm crazy. He came home to a chicken in our shower! I dont see a vet visit ad something ill do, but im not going to rule it out. Ive rearranged the rooster and think i have a good set up for trying to give him some time to heal, a warm spot, and food and water nearby. Ill be giving that toe curl suggustion a shot as soon as I can.
Many thanks to all for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom