Young Silkie (10 wks) "mothering" baby chick--does that mean probably female?

Downton Eggy

Chirping
Jun 15, 2016
I have a young, somewhat disabled and stunt-growth Silkie with whom I just successfully brought in a 3-week old Buff Orpington chick. The super social Silkie had withdrawn after I had to rehome two rooster siblings, and I brought in this chick to see if company would perk the Silkie up. Boy, did it! In less than two minutes, the Silkie spread wings and peeped and the Buff chick scuttled underneath, and now they are inseparable--trilling to each other.

I have been unsure whether the Silkie is male or female, as it did not grow as fast as the Roos and has a tuft of top feather but no indicative faux-hawk or streamers. Does the wing spreading and huddling over the chick suggest a pullet? Or will Roos do this, too? The rehomed Roos were definitely not cuddlers and,in fact, seemed to stomp on and disregard this little lame Silkie who now seems to be mothering the Buff chick. Is there a good chance the Silkie is a pullet, then?

Hoping so...but uncertain, I am,

Susannah, Head Housekeeper, Downton Eggy

Last edited:

This was within two minutes of their meeting.

Last edited:
I think of it as a little miracle. The Silkie had been grieving, not eating or drinking until the chick arrived this afternoon.
1f423.png

Last edited:
It is probably a female at 10 weeks. By 10 weeks the silkie roos are interested in play fighting and doing boy things. Females would be more mothering. But, never say never when talking about silkies. You could just have a very nurturing boy.
These are young cockerels.

Thank you! These are Truffle's brothers, and they were all roo and then some by week 8. Crowing, play fighting, etc. They stomped over Truffle and had no interest in cuddling, which Truffle wanted to do. She is easily half their size--developmental issues there, but she is mothering that baby Buff Orpington like nobody's business. Very attached, they are!

Here are the re-homed Roo siblings.

Back
Top Bottom