Guinea Predator?

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
I got or should now say 'had' 10 Guineas. I also got 12 chickens and two Peacocks. Had them all over two years with out any problems. Some times the guineas and peacock come and get in the pen at night and sometimes not. I'm a truck driver so I'm gone a lot. My Wife tends to them. After being gone for two week I came home and my Wife told me eight of the guineas are gone and that she saw two places where it looks like two might had been killed. They were fairly close to the house. Within the same range that the chickens will go. I found one more spot a little farther out but still within chicken range. That was about a month ago. Came home yesterday to find that another guinea is gone. I'm also only seeing one peacock. All chickens are accounted for.
What could be getting them. Strange that we are not losing any chickens. I've got game cams not to far from the house watching deer. Hadn't seen any thing on them. Any one have any ideas?

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hawks are out this time of year in our area. They migrate in the fall. You might want to move your game cam so you can catch anything that comes around the area where they are. Good luck I hope you find what is doing this.

Thanks for the help. I wasn't even thinking it might be some other kind of bird. My Wife says she has seen some hawks around and I have too now that I think about. Guess i'll keep a shotgun handy while home. Also going to lock up all the birds till spring. Not much for the to eat in the yard in the winter anyway. Hope it's not owls. While I'll kill hawks I would hate to shoot an owl. Might be laws against that anyway. I'll have to check.

Hawks are against the law to shoot. When you deal with a hawk you need to SSS. Shoot, shovel, and shut up. shhhhhhhh Glad I could help.

In Arkansas where I live I've heard that its legal to shoot a hawk if its killing your chickens. I don't what the law is in other states, but I've heard it's legal in Arkansas.

Back
Top Bottom