Potting Soil Questions

StormyAmorette

Hatching
Dec 3, 2016
Hello, I am a new to keeping chickens. My 3 hens are about 6 months now, and one of them has started laying eggs! Here is my problem. I have a a few potted plants on my patio that they have access to. I have normal potting soil in them that have what I assume to be pellets of fertilizer. It did not occur to me until recently that this could be harmful to my girls, as they often peck through the dirt, I assumed because they are looking for insects and rocks to ingest. They seem to be nice and healthy, but I'm worried now that they will be harmed by any fertilizers they have ingested over time, and I'm also worried about ingesting the eggs they've laid. Am I being over paranoid? I will be moving the plants away from where they can access them, but do I need to be worried about eating their eggs?

Thanks in advance,
-Worried new chicken mom

I'd not be worried about eating the eggs, unless there are any systemic pesticides in that potting soil. I try to use liquid fertilizer when ever I have plants that the chickens can get into the potting soil. You can perhaps put some hardware cloth around the plants in the pot, or surround the pots with bird or deer netting.

Back
Top Bottom