chicken coops

diane1m

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
im new Diane1 and i am about to start raising chickens but can't decide if i should start with baby chicks in the spring or get some pullets now? AND there are so many coops to look at with varying costs What should i look for..to keep chickens happy and safe thanks for all the hellos..I look forward to getting to meet you and learn lots..thanks diane

Welcome to BYC! If you haven't started your coop yet, now isn't the time to get any birds. I did that, and boy, did I regret it! I had 22 noisy, dusty chicks in the house and nothing ready for them to move into.

You want a coop with plenty of room, good ventilation, plenty of room, solid roosts, plenty of room, inviting nests, plenty of room and one that's easy for you to work in. I think a good run is also essential...there will be times when you just can't let them out wander in the yard and they need the fresh air, sunshine, and elbow room (wing room?) rather than tight confinement all day. The design is up to your building skills, your budget, your neighborhood and your imagination but if you provide the basics the rest will fall into place. I'd try to avoid commercially made "cutesy coops". They rarely hold the number of birds they claim they do and their construction is often pretty doggone weak and poor. You can buy a shed at a big box store l like Lowe's or Home Depot and they will usually deliver it right to your place. Then a few tweaks and you are good to go. One thing to remember....coops are rarely if ever "finished". I"m still making improvements on mine! <sigh>

Make sure you do your homework about predators. You might not think you have any, but there's nothing like the call of a chicken dinner to prove otherwise. I've seen an entire family of raccoon come out of a storm drain in downtown Denver ....yep, smack dab downtown! And while wild animals might not be an issue in your area, anyone's dog can get out of their yard and decimate a flock in short order.

I prefer to get chicks in the spring and raise them up during the warmer months. Then they are ready to lay in the late summer/early fall. I don't raise my chicks indoors at all anymore...I start them outside and keep them outside. They are stronger for it and I am much happier for it! Lots of other people feel the same way I do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Again, welcome to BYC.....and by the way I'm also a Diane!

I ordered chicks then when they arrived scrambled to build my coop and run.
Thank god for friends who are carpenters and own the proper tools.
I really should have built the coop first.
They're worth waiting for!
Build what you want within your budget then get your chickens!

G’Day from down under diane1m
frow.gif
Welcome!

That is some great advice you have received from Blooie.

I did struggle with a cutesy coop and then chicken math meant that I had two cutesy coops joined together and then after battling with those I gave up and built the coop that the girls needed and I wanted.

Cutesy coops are sometimes good for a short period of time while you figure out what you and your flock would like, but in the long run, building your own or converting a shed is the way to go.

Ask as many questions as you feel you need to; there are lots of experienced people on BYC willing to help.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

welcome-byc.gif

You've already received some great advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom