New duck owner. When should I introduce a pond?

ItalianChicken

Hatching
Dec 4, 2016
Hello to all,

I've just recently go four baby chickens and two baby ducks. They're all just under two months. When should I introduce a pond for the ducks. Also, I got the ducks about two weeks after the chickens. Ever since then I'm noticing dirt and food in the water. When I open up the coop in the morning they are out of water and the entire floor is soaked. It's as if they dumped the water feeder over but it's still upright!

One of the baby ducks ate some chicken poop too. Is that normal?

They are super cute especially when i let them out of the run into the yard. The ducks flap their wings and peck at the ground like the chickens.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hello to all,

I've just recently go four baby chickens and two baby ducks. They're all just under two months. When should I introduce a pond for the ducks. Also, I got the ducks about two weeks after the chickens. Ever since then I'm noticing dirt and food in the water. When I open up the coop in the morning they are out of water and the entire floor is soaked. It's as if they dumped the water feeder over but it's still upright!

One of the baby ducks ate some chicken poop too. Is that normal?

They are super cute especially when i let them out of the run into the yard. The ducks flap their wings and peck at the ground like the chickens.

Thanks for any advice.
@ItalianChicken Welcome to BYC

Ducks are very messy it is just in their DNA lol so what your seeing is very normal but chickens are not messy and don't appreciate having wet bedding and no water. Hard to make it where both can have water over night with out the ducklings playing in it and spilling it all. and it's not too good for there to be food and no water either both need water along with their feed. So my advise would be to give each their own space. Maybe ducklings on one side chickens on the other some how separating the 2 species. My chickens/ducks and geese are all out foraging during the day but like their own space at night.

I don't think it will hurt the duckling to taste the chicken poop that is how they learn what is good to eat and What isn't.lol Now if they keep it up then I'd worry.

Are you talking about a real pond or a pool? I'd think at the age of your 2 ducklings letting them out on a big pond maybe asking for a pred to have a good meal If a pool then make sure they have a way in and out safely. and at 8 weeks they can play in a pool. But a pond I'd wait till they are adult size and you have taught them where home is because alot of members have shown their ducks the pond then can't get them home at night to be safely put up safe from predators.

Last edited:
I can't separate right now until i get another coupe. Should i only leave water and not food over night? They all come out in the morning and drink like crazy. I was going to get a waterer that hung on the door so ducks couldn't get into it.

Thxs for reply

I leave two waterers in my coop at night time. I have 10 Muscovy's and 3 chickens. I set waters on bricks to elevate a few inches to help keep the water as clean as possible. But, ducks are dirty. Good luck to you.

I've done that too but to no avail. I have a massive waterer that i put out in yard during the day that i was going to put in at night. I'm just concerned that with more water will come more flooding! I'll probably end up getting another small coupe for ducks at night.

Thxs for replying. All this has helped me.

One thought is you could use poultry nipples for the chickens. I got 4 for $5 from the feed store and a plastic half gallon container with a screw on lid from the dollar store. Drilled holes in the bottom and screwed in the poultry nipples and used a piece of wire to hang it up. I tapped it a few times to show the chicks how to use it (though they're so curious I'm sure they would have pecked it anyway) and it keeps the water super clean. The ducklings would still need a waterer they could dip their beaks in though.

I've done that too but to no avail. I have a massive waterer that i put out in yard during the day that i was going to put in at night. I'm just concerned that with more water will come more flooding! I'll probably end up getting another small coupe for ducks at night.

Thxs for replying. All this has helped me.
It doesn't seem to matter what we do to try and keep water contained and not spread all over bedding. I have tried many things just doesn't work with ducks/geese. Once my ducks/ chickens get 6-8 weeks old they don't get food and water inside at night. Yes they come out going straight to the water buckets but that is the nature of ducks. I have done this since 2004 and haven't lost a one to dehydration of starvation since they usually go to sleep once they go inside for the night. It's always up to the member what you feel comfortable with and your birds. We can only give you what has worked for us. The only time I have broke down and given my flock food and water inside was last year in Feb when it was so frigid my flock was going inside between 2-3 pm in the afternoon. I used a heated bucket so it wouldn't freeze up. I even tried using a plastic container putting the bucket inside then placing the top on it cutting a hole just large enough for the ducks to get their heads into it. They still managed to get the water all over their bedding.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom