Hen stopped laying, thin and lethargic

ambergds

In the Brooder
May 18, 2016
Utah
My 9 month old EE hasn't layed and egg for a few weeks and was acting a little more tired then normal. So I picked her up and did a general chicken check over. He crop has food in it but isn't full. She is very thin, I can feel her keel bone well and she is very light. I have seen her drink. Her comb is red, but I've seen it redder. Everything else seems fine, abdomen is not swollen, vent looks normal, can not feel a stuck egg. I gave her a dose of valbazen even though she was wormed in October. No change. I'm thinking of doing a round of corrid just in case. Anything else I can try?
I just went to check on her and she is roosting underneath a big puffy Orpington to stay warm. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her if she doesn't put some weight on.

She's on the far left and back behind a LO

Last edited:
Can you take in a few fresh droppings to a vet to test? Offer her some bits of egg, and you can add some water and a bit of yogurt to some chicken feed to see if she is eating okay. Chickens need 12 hours of daylight to lay well, and in the winter, I will put a light on a timer from 5 AM to daylight to add a few more hours of light. Then mine go into the coop at dusk normally, and go to roost. Check her crop in the morning to make sure it empties overnight.

Yes I can take some droppings in. It's $25 at the vets close to me and they have both admitted to not knowing chickens that well. There is two exotic vets, one is about 30 minute drive and $35, and the other refused to do a fecal float unless I brought the chicken in and paid $75 office visit. Since I know where she roosted tonight, it should be easy to identify her droppings on the board. I just need to decide who to take then too, and if I can trust their findings.

I'm not too concerned with her not laying eggs. I'm getting plenty from my other hens. I am concerned with her weight and lethargy.

Thanks for helping me! I'll try your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom