What is your favorite breed of chicken?

kyeschicks

Serama Chicken Enthusiast
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Texas
I would like to know :) I'm going to be getting eggs to start up my flock and so far I'm fascinated by the d'uccles so I will definitely be getting porcelain d'uccles! A few more that are on my mind are Mottled Houndan, Queen Silvia, Sicilian Buttercup, and maaaybe millie fleur d'uccles :)

My favorite one would still be porcelain d'uccles though :p What is yours?

Buttercups are beautiful! I loved mine, they were my "queens" lol... They were very flighty, to the point that they slept in our trees and eventually had to have their own little coop because they insisted on laying eggs under a camper. Very very good for free ranging, not so much if you want them to stay put. They weren't the greatest layers, either, when I could actually find their eggs. But I want more lol, they were far and wide my favorites.

For laying hens, my fave are BRs. I've had those, red stars, Australorps, Wyandotte, Cochin, blue Andalusian, Ancona, Hamburg, polish, silkies, EEs, and an accidental Jersey. The red stars are great layers, but the BRs beat them with personality. I like spunky chickens, and BRs are spunky and fun, and they lay great all year round. Tough too, those girls never get sick and are the top hens in the pecking order. Very cold hardy and pretty to look at, my zebra hens ;)

Last edited:
Buttercups are beautiful! I loved mine, they were my "queens" lol... They were very flighty, to the point that they slept in our trees and eventually had to have their own little coop because they insisted on laying eggs under a camper. Very very good for free ranging, not so much if you want them to stay put. They weren't the greatest layers, either, when I could actually find their eggs. But I want more lol, they were far and wide my favorites.

For laying hens, my fave are BRs. I've had those, red stars, Australorps, Wyandotte, Cochin, blue Andalusian, Ancona, Hamburg, polish, silkies, EEs, and an accidental Jersey. The red stars are great layers, but the BRs beat them with personality. I like spunky chickens, and BRs are spunky and fun, and they lay great all year round. Tough too, those girls never get sick and are the top hens in the pecking order. Very cold hardy and pretty to look at, my zebra hens
wink.png
I agree with the Barred Rocks! they are awesome! I used to have some a few years back :D I might be thinking about to sicilian buttercups now lol I saw golden neck d'uccles and fell in love with them and unfortunately I can't have a lot :(

I'm wanting to breed Porcelain D'uccles, Golden Neck D'uccles, Queen Silvia's and I am trying to figure out a last breed I'd like to breed!

Well I can sway you with eye candy lol

For as flighty as they were, they were super sweet and friendly. I could catch them with no problem, but they blended in so well out here that they were hard to find sometimes ;)

I gave them to a friend when I got pregnant last fall; I had way too many chickens and had to keep just my best layers, but I do plan on getting more in the future.

Well I can sway you with eye candy lol

For as flighty as they were, they were super sweet and friendly. I could catch them with no problem, but they blended in so well out here that they were hard to find sometimes
wink.png

I gave them to a friend when I got pregnant last fall; I had way too many chickens and had to keep just my best layers, but I do plan on getting more in the future.
You are bad for doing that!
lol.png
have you ever heard of the 'Brazilian Buttercup'? lol There is a listing on ebay for those, but they look like Sicilian Buttercups lol either they misspelled it or there is actually a Brazilian Buttercup although I can't find any information of that breed on Google
lol.png

and aw, I hope you get to get some soon! how many chickens did you have? I'm expecting to put 40 eggs in my incubator haha

Last edited:
I know, I'm a horrible person! :D I regret it quite often lol. I had about 50. I would get rid of ten, then hatch out 12 chicks, get rid of 5, and hatch out 8 etc.. I got overrun with really flighty Andalusian barnyard mixes and had chickens in the garden, chickens in the trash, chickens moving into outbuildings and campers, laying eggs in hidey holes...they were everywhere :p

Then I got pregnant, and let me say, being my age and carrying an extra 40 lbs, all in front, and crawling under campers for eggs and chasing rogue cockerels wasn't working one bit. So I narrowed it down to 22. Good layers and 2 broodies. But I didn't keep any roos, so keeping broodies was dumb. Lol tempting me to get some eggs to hatch but now I have an infant to carry with me, so I'll wait a couple years before amassing them again ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom