Chicken newbie in New Orleans

NOLA farm

Chirping
Dec 2, 2016
New Orleans
Well this is what a joke with my wife turns into. We bought a home last year and lucked out as it came with two lots. We toiled with what to do with our "land" many nights with each other and the kids. What began as a joke has turned into 8 chickens, 10 fruit and citrus tree row (two more to come), 12 or so berry bushes to come, a banana tree patch, and then about 80 feet of fence line with a row of sunflower, corn, and okra. A farm folks, right in the middle of a city. Who could ask for more?

I did install 2 feet of underground metal fabric and locked up the outside with hardware cloth and chicken wire ( hardware on bottom). I have various latches that I use caribeaner rings to lock. If there is something better please let me know!

Enjoy and looking forward to an ever learning process.

framing - total dimension is 7x16 - inner coop is 8x7 - 6 egg nest boxes

oh - LOTS of paint!

roosting benches - currently not used! below is the backside of coop. I later put a door over that hole for clean out purposes and did the same on left side of coop. Above is year round circulation about 18 inches top down and the span of left and back side of coop

the 6 unfinished egg nests

first two girls and an eager boy!

finished egg boxes

drooling dog and two girls that have not figured out the dog can not get in

Hi there and
welcome-byc.gif
I am glad you joined us! Very nice coop you have there!
love.gif
If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask, or just hop over to the Learning Center (brown tab at top)
I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

welcome-byc.gif

I like the way you painted your coop! Looks like you have a little chicken-keeper to help you out too.

Thanks for joining us!

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

G’Day from down under NOLA farm
frow.gif
Welcome!

Your introduction was fun! I love the coop and your little two and four legged helpers!

There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks on BYC so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom