EMERGENCY- FIRST SICK HEN

NicolleJean

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2016
South Jersey
Hey guys-

Backstory- in September I bought 4 hens from a local "chicken guy". All four are different breeds said to be just about laying age.
About 3 weeks ago I started seeing some eggs. - Hopefully this gives you help as to their age.

For the past few days I have had one chicken with this little *cough*. I wasn't sure what it was at first because it was so sporadic, but I finally caught her doing it. Today, I came home from work and:
-Her breathing sounds like a creaky door.
-She has one watery eye (the fluid is clear but definitely more watery than what is normal).
-Her nose has a slight run to it. Every so often there is even a trace of blood- not sure if that is because of this mystery illness or because she has been sneezing.
-I happen to catch her poop as well (gross I know, sorry), and it was milky looking.

She was roosting with her other coop friends and when she opened her mouth it had strings of mucus as well. I immediately separated her from the rest of the flock and set her up in my garage. I gave her some food and water and she is eating and drinking, but not as enthusiastically as normal. Am I just prolonging her death at this time or is there something I can do to help her?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Keep doing what your doing.She probably has a respiratory infection.Tylan 50 can be used to treat respiratory problems.

Just looked it up. Seems pretty spot on with what my hen is dealing with. She had been removed from the flock for a day now. Do my other hens still have a shot? I need to try to look up any type of treatment.

Just looked it up. Seems pretty spot on with what my hen is dealing with. She had been removed from the flock for a day now. Do my other hens still have a shot? I need to try to look up any type of treatment.
No treatment......You can use OXY TETRA-A.....In water.......It will help with symptoms but not cure the birds.......

Cheers!

*Update*

Althought the ILT symptoms are similar to what my hen is going through, night one was the only time she was expelling some mucus. I gave her Tylan 50 at night time, and then again last night. yesterday morning and all through today she still has some gurgling sounds, but not nearly as bad and I haven't heard her try to cough. She has been drinking water and nibbling on food. Her nose and eyes seem clear as well. My new concern is she has been in this small area for now three days and there is hardly any droppings to clean up. If anyone else has any more suggestions please keep them coming!

*Update*

Althought the ILT symptoms are similar to what my hen is going through, night one was the only time she was expelling some mucus. I gave her Tylan 50 at night time, and then again last night. yesterday morning and all through today she still has some gurgling sounds, but not nearly as bad and I haven't heard her try to cough. She has been drinking water and nibbling on food. Her nose and eyes seem clear as well. My new concern is she has been in this small area for now three days and there is hardly any droppings to clean up. If anyone else has any more suggestions please keep them coming!
The possible reason for not many droppings is she is not eating as much.......As long as she is still pooping, drinking and eating....Give her time to try and recover....

Best of luck......

Cheers!

*Update*

My hen has luckily made what seems to be a full recovery. Two more started with the coughing and running nose (not nearly as severe as the first hen). I decided to separate all of them until they are all symptom free. Any suggestions on a good disinfectant for the coop in the meantime?

Back
Top Bottom