Sutured Lilly my Chicken now what?

I know there are other posts which I have read but wanted to start a new one based on my experience I had on December 2, 2016. My dog Lab/pit got a hold of one the chickens that didn't go in for the night. Caught my dog red handed and brought Lilly in right away. Thought she was going into shock so I put her in warm water and she seemed to perk up a bit. After examining her for wounds I only saw at first some puncture wounds and not deep. Then I noticed between her wings on her back. It was gaping at least 4" x 2" skin break. I had my grandchild who is 10 years old help me as I was shaking like a leaf because I was not sure what to do. She was brave but she said it was gross. I knew I had to do something so I sewed her up after washing out wound. NEVER done this before ever! But I sterilized everything best way possible. Its been 5 days and she seems better and she is also separated from the others and is inside now because of injury to her plus the cold. I did cut away a few feathers to get to wound and I know it will take time to grow back. I have been washing the wound with peroxide every day and twice now with nu-stock. Which is on the pictures on wound (yellow). I am little concerned for infection since the skin around is turning colors almost like bruising and there is somewhat of an offensive odor. Been giving her baths in anti-bacterial soap and warm water and rinsing her. She seems ok and she is friendly anyways! Loving the attention. Just afraid of infection and I am not sure what to do at this point. Keeping her in until fully healed. PLEASE HELP.... Pictures posted!

I know there are other posts which I have read but wanted to start a new one based on my experience I had on December 2, 2016. My dog Lab/pit got a hold of one the chickens that didn't go in for the night. Caught my dog red handed and brought Lilly in right away. Thought she was going into shock so I put her in warm water and she seemed to perk up a bit. After examining her for wounds I only saw at first some puncture wounds and not deep. Then I noticed between her wings on her back. It was gaping at least 4" x 2" skin break. I had my grandchild who is 10 years old help me as I was shaking like a leaf because I was not sure what to do. She was brave but she said it was gross. I knew I had to do something so I sewed her up after washing out wound. NEVER done this before ever! But I sterilized everything best way possible. Its been 5 days and she seems better and she is also separated from the others and is inside now because of injury to her plus the cold. I did cut away a few feathers to get to wound and I know it will take time to grow back. I have been washing the wound with peroxide every day and twice now with nu-stock. Which is on the pictures on wound (yellow). I am little concerned for infection since the skin around is turning colors almost like bruising and there is somewhat of an offensive odor. Been giving her baths in anti-bacterial soap and warm water and rinsing her. She seems ok and she is friendly anyways! Loving the attention. Just afraid of infection and I am not sure what to do at this point. Keeping her in until fully healed. PLEASE HELP.... Pictures posted!

Welcome to BYC.
I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Do you have vet care available?

Chickens do bruise, so the changing colors is most likely bruising (green/blue). The offensive odor is most concerning, this would be a sign of infection.

I'm not a medical expert, but most likely there is infection under the suture. You may need to open it up and clean the wound out. Leave it open and apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn instead of Peroxide.
Most wounds on chickens, even if they are deep will slowly heal on their own if left open.

Since it sounds like infection has started she may need antibiotic treatment as well. Procaine penicillin G injections 1/4 ml or cc can be given into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep daily for 4 days. Use a 20 gauge needle and alternate sides daily. Most feed stores still have antibiotics on the shelf, so try those first. Again, if you can get assistance from a vet, they would be able to treat/clean the wound and give her better medication.

Make sure she is staying hydrated and eating well. If you have them add some poultry vitamins to her water every other day or so. She may also benefit from some extra protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to her regular food.

Keep us posted.

Ok thanks for this info. 1st this time, Lilly's skin in around the wound has hardened. Rough and hard. Thinking it is scabbing of skin? Will this fall of on its own and grow new skin? Just not sure. How long after a injury will she show signs of getting better. She seems better but u am waiting more active movements. Thanks.

Ok thanks for this info. 1st this time, Lilly's skin in around the wound has hardened. Rough and hard. Thinking it is scabbing of skin? Will this fall of on its own and grow new skin? Just not sure. How long after a injury will she show signs of getting better. She seems better but u am waiting more active movements. Thanks.
Can you post some updated photos?

I would assume the hardening is a scab. Does it still have an odor?

It can take a while for a severely injured chicken to recover, especially if she has any internal injuries (like being crushed/squeezed in a dog's mouth). Does she seem to breath, eat and drink o.k?
How much movement is she able to make?

My girl was a survivor of dog attack. I thought I got all the wounds.
one of the days she started to smell like rot.
I did find a wound under her wing that was badly infected.
Took that wound to task right away.
also did your girl have mites? the yellow scabbing looks like
where the mites chewed on her and left the debris.

Back
Top Bottom