When to start free ranging?

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I have just got myself 2 Pekin bantams to add to my flock and im wondering when they will learn where their home is, when they will learn to stay with the rest of the flock and when they will learn to return to the coop at night. I want to know this so i can let them free range.

It may depend a little on the size of area they free range over. My property is on half an acre, so wondering off and getting lost is not really an option for them. I usually keep new additions in the main coop (with food and water, of course) for 48 hours and I have never had a problem with them not returning to the coop on an evening. Some people prefer to keep them in the coop longer - just a matter of doing what works for you.

Have you followed any guides for quarantine / integration? If you have, then great but if not then maybe take a look at these links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098683/introducing-new-chickens-to-old-flock#post_16895615

All the best

I have a had a look at quarantine and a integration, but I don't need to worry much about the quarantine scince all the chickens we have got have been from the same place with no sicknesses or injurys and have been fine with the dirt and with the Integartion the rooster was getting a bit friendly without other than that when I went down to feed them this morning I made sure I spread out the food a lot and they were perfectly fine. And mother area they free range in is 1.3 acres so mabey 3 days before I can let them free range?

I have a had a look at quarantine and a integration, but I don't need to worry much about the quarantine scince all the chickens we have got have been from the same place with no sicknesses or injurys and have been fine with the dirt and with the Integartion the rooster was getting a bit friendly without other than that when I went down to feed them this morning I made sure I spread out the food a lot and they were perfectly fine. And mother area they free range in is 1.3 acres so mabey 3 days before I can let them free range?

Great! I'd say your plan is fine. Initially, they may not feel sufficiently confident to mix with the flock and range so far. When I introduce new birds to the flock, I usually put a feeding station outside the coop, and then move it gradually, over the period of a week or so, to the main feed station area (where the flock hang out). I let them make the decision when to fully mingle with the rest. I'm sure that there are lots of approaches out there - this works for me.

You are welcome and I'm sure that other members will offer their advice / share their experience. Like many things in chicken keeping, there are many ways of doing things, and its all down to personal preference.

Depends on how long you have had them?........In general they will stick close to the Coop for the first few times out and then mingle a bit further........

Cheers!
[/quote
We'll when I got my japs I dis notice that they would spend most of their time in the coop but they didn't have the option to go out then for 2 weeks after we got them but now they still stay closer together than they do with the others but the still follow them and stay with them

Well today was the day and they are doing great with the others they are following them around and staying near them and other then them sorting out the pecking order a bit they are completely fine

Back
Top Bottom