ducks survived first super cold night ! woot woot :)

someguyhere

Chirping
Sep 6, 2016
thought Id post a little encouraging story for the other newbie duck owners. we have 3 new ducks that will just be 12 weeks old tomorrow. I have been getting them prepared for this winter since about 3 weeks old when we first put them outside for good. since I was getting them a little late in the year I was worried about the winter. last night it got down to zero degrees. the night house is just small enclosure the size of a pallet tucked next to a building to protect it from the wind.it sits off the ground a few inches and about 3 1/2 feet in height. there is close to 2 feet of straw the pack down and burrow into and I wrapped and old thick big king size electric blanket with a tarp. I was pretty worried last night but everything Ive read says they should be fine. we have been getting snow already but no nights this cold yet. we have 1 buff female 1 chocolate runner female and 1 white crested male ( pekin I think). this morning it was only about 5 degrees and they came out happy and fine. after food and water the runner went and burrowed herself in some straw for awhile so I assume she got a little cold while the others bit at snow flakes falling. she eventually came out to play to when it warmed up just a little more. I keep a few covered spots available in different spots full of a couple feet of straw also for them to hang out in during the day.

so anyways if you are worried about your new little buddies they seem to be as hardy and strong as you read lol.

Last night was 31F
Gonna go down to 14 in a couple days!!!!
At least mine are full grown, I wouldnt be brave enough to put em out at that age in my weather. LOL, I'm a staunch spring duckling person
But I think as long as they are dry and out of wind, all will be fine.

Good luck with your ducks!

Hello from Canada.........I am close to Edmonton, Alberta........You want Cold......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
For two days and nights it was -18 Celsius, Windchill was -30........I had to lock my Ducks in my garage with a heat lamp on for two days......Today they are back out in the pen.......Happy Ducks....Still -20 but zero wind..........

They can handle cold.......Not the Wind.........If mine survive, all your Ducks south of me will be fantastic!!!

Cheers!

Hello from Canada.........I am close to Edmonton, Alberta........You want Cold......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
For two days and nights it was -18 Celsius, Windchill was -30........I had to lock my Ducks in my garage with a heat lamp on for two days......Today they are back out in the pen.......Happy Ducks....Still -20 but zero wind..........

They can handle cold.......Not the Wind.........If mine survive, all your Ducks south of me will be fantastic!!!

Cheers!
I was mistaken , I thought they were older. they actually just hit 15 weeks and will be 16 weeks here in a couple days. skipped some weeks in my count lol. //........ some of your post actually were some of the ones that convinced me that my little clan here would be fine. we wont see anythng like what you get up there . ha . zero to ten below will be the coldest we ever see all year and those will be few and far between. normal in the dead of winter will still be in the teens. they have lots of wind breaks and mini shelters to stash in. they seem to be just fine with it all though. my wife and kids wanted ducks and I wasnt much up for it but now I think I love them more than they do :p they are like kids you worry about everything even though you know they will be fine

Last edited:
Thank you...I am glad I could help you......
yesss.gif

Your Ducks will be great.....Your doing all that is required.....Your temperatures are just fine for your Ducks........

Ducks are a lot like feathered puppies.....I love them.....

Best of luck,

Cheers to you!!!!

Our ducks have been spending a lot of their time in the barn lately.

Not here to comment on the ducks for reasons some might guess...

But Goldenflight I see your from Minnesota, we would love to have you on the "Surviving Minnesota" thread.

There are actually some huge duck lovers there too.

Good luck on your ducks in the cold. Even chickens and turkeys are hard in this weather, I cannot imagine the work a duck would be..

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread after this unabashedly shameful recruitment ploy..

Bye

Not here to comment on the ducks for reasons some might guess...

But Goldenflight I see your from Minnesota, we would love to have you on the "Surviving Minnesota" thread.

There are actually some huge duck lovers there too.

Good luck on your ducks in the cold. Even chickens and turkeys are hard in this weather, I cannot imagine the work a duck would be..

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread after this unabashedly shameful recruitment ploy..

Bye
Okay, thanks for the invitation!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom