Noisy hen!

chuckachucka

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 22, 2016
I have a ten month old hen who has recently become very noisy. She is not currently laying after raising chicks this summer and now due to winter. She is totally healthy as far as I can tell and has access to the coop with two other hens and run all day and gets a few hours during daylight to free range in my large, fairly wild garden. She has been quite a talkative hen since she started laying earlier this year but now it has got to the point where she I bwaaaaark bwaark bwaarking all day and I'm worried about it annoying the neighbours! What could be causing this?

I have a ten month old hen who has recently become very noisy. She is not currently laying after raising chicks this summer and now due to winter. She is totally healthy as far as I can tell and has access to the coop with two other hens and run all day and gets a few hours during daylight to free range in my large, fairly wild garden. She has been quite a talkative hen since she started laying earlier this year but now it has got to the point where she I bwaaaaark bwaark bwaarking all day and I'm worried about it annoying the neighbours! What could be causing this?
My dominant hen yaps if she sees something as a threat...Squirrels, the cat from up the road, Blue Jays....etc.....
She could also be calling you outside if you bring treats/snacks everyday.......

Cheers!

I'd be more worried if she was quiet. Sounds like you have a dominant hen who likes to talk. Some of these dominant hens will actually crow like a rooster while some will chatter endlessly about who knows what. What breed is she? Some of the super high production breeds can be very chatty. Some folks call the chattiness "egg talk or egg song". It could be your hen is responding to the hormonal changes in her body as she gets ready to start laying again.

I had one hen like that - she got on my nerves, so she went for a date with the slow cooker.

At 10 months...she may not molt this year....pullets often lay thru their first winter.
What breed is she?
How long since she hatched the chicks...and has she 'weaned' them yet??
She may be coming back into lay.....thus all the chatter.

Mine does this
My dominant hen yaps if she sees something as a threat...Squirrels, the cat from up the road, Blue Jays....etc.....
She could also be calling you outside if you bring treats/snacks everyday.......

Cheers!

I second this. My Roo & Hens will call for me if I am late or miss a day of snacks. When I first started I would go out every morning and call them over while scattering snacks. Then they started eating out of my hand &c. It's gotten to where when I walk out the back door they (free ranged) will charge me begging and waiting for treats. Now if I am slower in the morning to get outside, or if I don't have treats, they will literally wait by my backdoor or side yard close to my backdoor and make all kinds of noisy racket for me, especially if its colder because they know they will get extra meal worm and protein treats for energy. Yea, we are spoiled.

I have a little Buff Orpington hen who is doing this as well. She just started laying about 3 weeks ago and I too am worried about complaints from the neighbors. Do they make a "Hen Muzzle"? She is a very sweet little hen, and yes we do provide them treats, just not every day. They do charge me when I go out and I enjoy the attention as much as they do. But, back to the original issue. If someone has any idea as what or why this may be happening, please let us hear it. The slow cooker has crossed my mind, but my husband is a city boy, and he still thinks chicken goes from the meat department in the store. (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom