Need Help, Can Chickens Get Frostbite?

chickensrock12

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Utah
So, this morning I looked out my window and one of my hens was walking funny. I went out and picked her up. Her leg was purple and I looked in there water bowl and there was a chicken footprint in it. Please help, is this frostbite?

@Blooie ???

It looks like frostbite to me. Bring her in to a slightly warmer location, you don't want her to overheat and you want the feet to warm very slowly. Don't put them in warm water to warm them up.

Place her on clean dry bedding. I would suggest leaving the feet alone for a while, then access if you need to spray on anything like Vetericyn. Depending on how severe some of her toes may fall off, but chickens are adaptable.

Make sure she stays hydrated and add some vitamins to her water if you have them.

I tagged Blooie, she has some experience with frostbite on the feet, so input will be very helpful.

Let us know how she's doing.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/844688/frostbite-on-foot

@Blooie ???

It looks like frostbite to me. Bring her in to a slightly warmer location, you don't want her to overheat and you want the feet to warm very slowly. Don't put them in warm water to warm them up.

Place her on clean dry bedding. I would suggest leaving the feet alone for a while, then access if you need to spray on anything like Vetericyn. Depending on how severe some of her toes may fall off, but chickens are adaptable.

Make sure she stays hydrated and add some vitamins to her water if you have them.

I tagged Blooie, she has some experience with frostbite on the feet, so input will be very helpful.

Let us know how she's doing.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/844688/frostbite-on-foot
X 2. Most cases of frostbitten feet may take a few days to judge how much damage has been done. Usually, when a toe is black, it may fall of in weeks to a month. They can survive without a few toes, but occasionally a foot is lost.

Unfortunately, the damage may have been done already. Do not massage the feet, which can damage them further and cause pain. Just make sure she is eating and drinking. You may want to bring her inside for a day or two to access the damage. Keep areas dry and free of water that can be walked through.

What, how can I help to keep her toes and feet. I can't let that happen.
I'm sorry, but there is nothing you can do to prevent them from falling off if the tissue is dead. I understand that is sounds terrible, but for the time being try to focus on making her comfortable and taking care that infection doesn't set in.

If you have vet care available, that would be best.

Cold air is dry air and water evaporates more quickly under cold and dry conditions thus accelerating heat loss. This is why it is so dangerous to fall in liquid water in arctic environments.

Your bird will be lucky if it avoids loosing at least 3 toes.

The rest of you should fix watering sights that keep your chickens' feet dry.

OK, I've had her in the house for about a day. She is doing well. My vet said every 5 to 7 hours dip her feet in warm water with one teaspoon of salt and a med she gave me. She said its less likely she will lose a foot or toe. Do to that it is only first degree frostbite. She said it will heal with in a month or two. But, my other gals won't get this too. I moved them to the garage. In my old rabbit hutch. I have four chickens. Rose, nugget, red, and Carmel renamed frosty. Frosty is upstairs in my room. She is in a towl and has a heater, feed, and water. She is doing better. Thanks guys. I found that my sprinkler pipe has a leak and it goes under the coop. It keeps raising. It was 12 degrees today. She was eating the bread I put in there this morning. She must have been in it for a while. But, once again thank you. If I have questions I'll ask.

It's getting better.

Back
Top Bottom