Mucky bottom help needed please.

PaulaMc

Chirping
Oct 29, 2016
Bolton, England

D.gif

Hi all

This is Talula - an ex battery hen I adopted in May. When I brought her home she had no rear end, tail or wing feathers and her floppy crop was white. As you can see she is feathering up nicely.

However, despite trying all sorts such as: bathing, Ivermectin, Smite powder and DE etc I can't get rid of her lice! None of the others seem to have this problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If I bathed her again and kept her in until she dried do you think that would help?

Many, many thanks for your help
D.gif

I use garden dust like 7-dust on my birds. Get the lice/mites every time. Dust her good, especially around the vent and under her wings.

With a quick Google search I found out that 7dust is banned in the UK, and several other countries actually. You might try wood ash, it kills lice on chickens. If yourself or a friend has a wood burning stove or fireplace you'll have a steady supply. Either put it in their dust bathing area or apply it to her yourself. I'd apply the first round yourself if it were me. To be sure she gets coated good. Be careful to not get in the eyes, ears, or nostrils.

With a quick Google search I found out that 7dust is banned in the UK, and several other countries actually. You might try wood ash, it kills lice on chickens. If yourself or a friend has a wood burning stove or fireplace you'll have a steady supply. Either put it in their dust bathing area or apply it to her yourself. I'd apply the first round yourself if it were me. To be sure she gets coated good. Be careful to not get in the eyes, ears, or nostrils.

Thanks for this.

I do use wood ash in their dust bath but will up the levels and try what you suggested. I ordered louse powder and will dust her down to tonight.

Thanks again
thumbsup.gif

OK. So have used wood ash, Smite, Harkers Ivermectin etc. Still mucky. Could it be vent gleet? Can't get hold of her till she goes to bed to smell her bottom-believe this is a good indicator.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom