Frozen eggs

Fourgirlyhens

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2016
Juneau, Alaska
It's been close to 0 degrees the last few days and my hens have started laying. It's my first winter. The egg I got today was not cracked but definitely frozen solid. Can I thaw it and still eat it or should I just toss it out?

I just fried up two of those myself! As long as the shell isn't cracked, I go right ahead and enjoy them. They don't always work well in baking after being frozen, though, so bear that in mind. Kinda fun to watch them sorta melt back into shape in the frying pan!
lau.gif

I check for eggs at 5am and collect 0 to 3, mostly 2. I check again around 9am and get the rest (up to 5) most of the time. I check again when I lock up the coop. I leave them in the pail this time of year to come up to room temperature before washing, about seven hours.
It's been down to seventeen today and down to the low twenties several mornings and so far no cracked eggs. GC

Last edited:
Following! We had our first frozen egg yesterday, I'm pretty sure spouse ate it this morning - this particular hen lays in our (very clean, even with her going in it) play structure. We brought it in to the fridge after about 4 hours, and he ate it this morning, so he/we figured not much bacteria could multiply in the cold for that short a period of time, but I'm curious about it because presumably all frozen eggs have been cold, so one would think if they haven't been sitting in chicken poop they would probably be fine but obviously it's recommended not to eat them across the board due to possible bacterial contamination so hoping some more information might come out here :) I know it's possible it came in contact with something on the vent but still, such a short period of time..

I just fried up two of those myself! As long as the shell isn't cracked, I go right ahead and enjoy them. They don't always work well in baking after being frozen, though, so bear that in mind. Kinda fun to watch them sorta melt back into shape in the frying pan!
lau.gif
No, @Blooie !! Really?!? You put a frozen solid egg in a hot frying pan!!??!!

I gather frequently on really cold days and get most before they freeze......
....this is one time that all using the same nest is a plus because they keep them from freezing.
Frozen and cracked eggs get boiled and fed back to birds...any others I just store on counter and use as normal.

You could always do what @RonP does https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/heated-nesting-boxes-help-stop-frozen-eggs

No, @Blooie !! Really?!? You put a frozen solid egg in a hot frying pan!!??!!

I gather frequently on really cold days and get most before they freeze......
....this is one time that all using the same nest is a plus because they keep them from freezing.
Frozen and cracked eggs get boiled and fed back to birds...any others I just store on counter and use as normal.

You could always do what @RonP does https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/heated-nesting-boxes-help-stop-frozen-eggs
Oh, it wasn't really an ice oval type frozen, @aart it was more like a thick, gloppy clump that sorta clung to the inside of the shell and then blooped out into the pan.
lau.gif

Yep, sort of like that....the icing in the yolks was very visible and the whites were sorta like.....well, Play-Doh! Yeah, that's it...the eggs were sorta like Play-doh. But they were still pretty doggone good!

I have just to to be more diligent about getting out there more often during this cold snap and getting those eggs gathered more often.

Quote: So not one of these?:

Yep, sort of like that....the icing in the yolks was very visible and the whites were sorta like.....well, Play-Doh! Yeah, that's it...the eggs were sorta like Play-doh. But they were still pretty doggone good!

I have just to to be more diligent about getting out there more often during this cold snap and getting those eggs gathered more often.
Actually that is totally, hard as a rock, frozen solid...except the very outside, just enough to get shell off.
Can't remember what I did with it<scratcheshead>
Have had partially frozen ones, slushy...let them thaw and cooked scrambled.

Back
Top Bottom