Dog attack- Looking for vet tips!!

kmayhem

Hatching
Dec 10, 2016
Well, my neighbors dog got ahold my my super sweet blue laced red wyandotte Valentina yesterday. Massive injuries to her back and neck. Shockingly she lived! I cleaned her up with bedadine and non stick 4x4 pads and a bunch of vet wrap. Poor girl has asprin and electrolytes in her water. She was alert, drinking and eating treats (mealworms, arugula and blueberries) Today ( I wanted to see if she would survive the night before traumatizing her further) I clipped a bunch of feathers, flushed everything with water, more bedadine and Neosporin and put the wounds back together with steri-strips, I used more non stick 4x4s and vet warp. She's now hanging out in a dog carrier inside (last night she was in the bath tub with a towel. I've done everything I can think of. My only concern is that I haven't seen her lay down. I think she is sleeping standing up. It could be the extensive neck injures. Thoughts? Anything else I should be doing to help my sweet girl? Thanks!

Last edited:
Let her sleep as she likes. Odds are that in addition to the obvious puncture and tearing wounds, there is likely extensive crushing as well. That means she is sore an at high risk of infection. Keep her hydrated and that would be the route by which I would introduce antibiotics if they are to be used. Make so she can retreat from the light if she wants.

Thanks! I wasn't thinking of crushing injuries- I'm sure your right. Im going to get some penicillin to do IM tomorrow. Her current digs are a dog carrier that is hard plastic and is low on light, and she can retreat to a corner that is almost completely dark. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom