Silkie with a big blotch. Is this normal?

Darkfeather

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
I have a blue/black/splash pen of silkies and have been breeding for a few years. Then I recently got a new blue rooster and the first chick I hatched from h was odd.

It was a yellowish white chick with a big bluish spot on it.

And this is how he looks now:

I figured he would be a splash but this is the oddest looking splash I've ever hatched. If that's even what it is.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have a blue/black/splash pen of silkies and have been breeding for a few years. Then I recently got a new blue rooster and the first chick I hatched from h was odd.

It was a yellowish white chick with a big bluish spot on it.

And this is how he looks now:

I figured he would be a splash but this is the oddest looking splash I've ever hatched. If that's even what it is.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I believe you have a mutation in the flock! If I remember correctly paint silkies came from a mutation in a blue flock and this little darling sounds like a paint.

You just had a bird people pay to import hatch in your own flock, congrats! If the wire throws more silkies like that I recommend personally putting them in their own breeding pen together ;)

I believe you have a mutation in the flock! If I remember correctly paint silkies came from a mutation in a blue flock and this little darling sounds like a paint.

You just had a bird people pay to import hatch in your own flock, congrats! If the wire throws more silkies like that I recommend personally putting them in their own breeding pen together ;)

Wow you really think so? That's pretty lucky!

And yes I intend to breed him/her! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom